Scorpions viewed as "cute" by arachnophobics

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
What was your first scorp

I've had similar reactions. Every guy I tell I own scorps to look at me like I'm a freak but woman tend to 90% of the time find it cool and are always wanting to see them
My 1st scorpion was an emperor but didnt satisfy my urge for scorpions .... so i bought a hadrurus arizonensis and then i was truly hooked :)
Over 100 species later and im still like a little kid in the candy store when i get a new brood or species to work with

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I find it hilarious that so many big tough Macho wannabe type guys are terrified of my invertebrate collection. It's like, you have the extremely Brave guts to slam endangered eels against the dock just because you caught it for no reason but you refused to even look at my invertebrate collection.

And yes, on more than one occasion, including today, I got to witness Stellar members of the human species slamming poor eels against the dock just because they caught them and not some kind of other fish that they wanted to keep. I am not really sure what is so difficult about getting the hook out and letting it go. :meh:

They're endangered too. But since it's not a dog or cat who cares right ? :meh:

In staying on topic with the thread, I too am a lot more wary of tarantulas even today. I really think it has to do with that primordial switch that we have in our minds that tells us to avoid them. I am not an advocate for handling, but I will say that I would handle a scorpion long before I would handle a tarantula.

For some people it's the opposite, those that are super into tarantulas sometimes are not so much into scorpions.

Stugy

Arachnolord
They're endangered too. But since it's not a dog or cat who cares right ? :meh:
I especially dislike when people say it's weird to keep inverts when they have 5 plus dogs and cats and parrots and other animals. It's the same thing pretty much. I'm not much of a social person so scorpions are perfect for me. Plus scorpions don't make annoying *** noises every time they see something or it's not like there are any "breeds" that can potentially (I said potentially!) kill you just by jumping on you. At the same time people do keep LQs lol. No matter the dumb things dogs and cats have, I'll still love my dog but not as much as my scorpions LOL

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Humans are illogical.

No type of tarantula is known to have venom that routinely kills people. With scorpions, that is not the case at all!! Nor do spiders have that wicked sharp stinger that can reach out and touch you either!!

(A great reason to have access to 50 degree temperatures)

I suppose that since people have hands and use whips and chains, rope etc as tools and weapons they can relate better.

Of course, both types of inverts are awesome!!

Zeez

Arachnopeon
I used to be a really bad arachnophobe, but scorpions I was always ok with. I've had an emperor and I'm going to be getting an AFS this weekend. These days, I'm warming up to tarantulas. It's the Small spiders, with really skinny legs that freak me out (widows, huntsman spiders etc). I am looking for a beginner tarantula (rosy toe maybe?) and hopefully, one day in the distant future, I will be able to keep a bird eater.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd agree with being able to relate to the little 'arms'. I think the claws also remind people of decapods like crabs and lobsters, which fall under the 'cute seaside curiosity' and 'tasty treat' categories as well as 'gross creepy-crawly'. Speaking personally, I think a scorpion's sting is a bit less intimidating than a tarantula fangs: one's up and out where you can see it, and tucked away at the back. The latter are hidden away where you can't easily see them, underneath and at the front, seemingly much more ready to be deployed should a portion of your anatomy become available.

Then there's the fact that scorpions, despite being misconceived as universally dangerous, are outside the frame of reference for most of us first-worlders, and others. Not counting some folk from the southern US, and elsewhere, who have my deep and abiding envy in that regard...

CABIV

Arachnosquire
I guess I'm the odd ball here. I originally wanted a scorpion, but ended up with tarantulas instead. I now have the scorpion's, and I love them, but I'd never call them cute.

I feel like a scorpion is all business. I suppose my H. paucidens flicks it's. Tail funny like a cat when it hunts things, but that is about the extent of it.

On the other hand, I feel like the fuzziness of a tarantula make it more mammal like and as such, much less threatening.

Thelema777

Arachnopeon
I would assume its because peoples fear of spiders are constantly conditioned into them, where as people tend to not have many encounters with scorps or even think of them as arachnids. I grew up in texas, so ive had good and bad encounters with scorps. Ive been really contemplating getting into scorps, but my t obsession gets in the way lol

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
For me it's more or less that Ts can climb ANYTHING and scorps can't climb smooth surfaces lol. Better conscious factor knowing it's harder for it get out

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
On the other hand, I feel like the fuzziness of a tarantula make it more mammal like and as such, much less threatening.
For me, the more fuzzy and mammal-like, the weirder. Tarantulas are alright - they're usually not fuzzy enough. I'm perfectly fine with those and scorpions, but I used to have a phobia of (don't laugh) butterflies and moths. Show me a big, properly-fuzzy moth like silkmoths or atlas moths* and I still get the willies. They're like some weird, Lovecraftian hybrid 'twixt insect and rodent.

* Please don't show me silkmoths or atlas moths.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I feel like a scorpion is all business.
Maybe partly because they seem to resemble Lobsters, which are well known for being a force to be reckoned with when cornered.

For me it's more or less that Ts can climb ANYTHING and scorps can't climb smooth surfaces lol. Better conscious factor knowing it's harder for it get out
I agree - I am not so concerned about my Scorpion enclosures because the most they can do is "wall dance" until they get bored, but Tarantulas are a whole different ballgame.

Scorpusvonpork

Arachnosquire
Maybe partly because they seem to resemble Lobsters, which are well known for being a force to be reckoned with when cornered.

I agree - I am not so concerned about my Scorpion enclosures because the most they can do is "wall dance" until they get bored, but Tarantulas are a whole different ballgame.
Nice animals! Tarantulas move in a very calculating manner and it's somewhat creepy. Scorpions seem klutz like and that's amusing.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Nice animals! Tarantulas move in a very calculating manner and it's somewhat creepy. Scorpions seem klutz like and that's amusing.
Not always predictable. When they bolt it makes your heart stop.

They do sometimes walk right into a decoration though.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A trend I've noticed is that women tend to be morbidly afraid of spiders or scorpions, but men are morbidly afraid of snakes. What's up with that?

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I must be honest I first came into this hobby desperate to get a scorpion and ended up with T's, Cannot wait to get my first scorp, am waiting for the right one haha

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A trend I've noticed is that women tend to be morbidly afraid of spiders or scorpions, but men are morbidly afraid of snakes. What's up with that?
I find that weird too. I know some of the biggest burly dudebro macho type guys and they are like little wimps when it comes to snakes. Even a harmless little garter snake. I'll just casually come in and pick it up and move it to wherever while the dudebros stand there almost shivering.
I'm only exaggerating a little bit - they really are terrified. I don't get it.

But if a 4" DLS huntsman spider wandered by they would just use their bare hands to crush it then wash their hands without blinking much.