1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpions living at room temp??

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by HumanSculptures, Apr 20, 2017.

1. HumanSculptures

HumanSculptures Arachnopeon

NJ
    Advertisement
    I've seen a lot of mixed answers on this. Can scorpions live and thrive at room temp say between 70-74? I keep all mine in a heated cabinet but I'd like to display them nicer on shelves but that means no heating. I keep the following;

Pandinus imperator
    Pandinus dictator
    Desert hairy
    Flat rocks
    Vinagaroon
    Asian forest scorps
    TAILLESS whip scorps

Can any of them thrive at room temp? THANK YOU!!

2. correct me if im wrong

i think you can but they tend to grow more slower when kept in lower temp

3. Red Eunice

Red Eunice Arachnobaron Active Member

They can ALL LIVE in that temperature range.
    Depending on your definition of "thrive"..... maybe? If you're not going to breed..... yes.
    As CCG stated, lower temps result in slower growth rate.
    Is it possible to insert glass panels in the door of your heated cabinet? Just a thought, you'll still have the high temps and have viewing capabilities.

4. Lessej

Lessej Arachnopeon

Thanks OP for posting as I was curious on this as well. I see so many photos and videos of setups and easily more than half of what I've seen shows no additional heating but from what I've read they do thrive more and can be more active with supplemental heat. I personally am going to probably go with a 50 watt infrared light for daytime/evenings and have it on a timer to turn off shortly before I turn in for the night. I'm in the process of shopping for a scorpion right now. I have 3 T's though, none of which are under any additional heating and are just at room temp which tends to be 70-77°F depending how warm it gets upstairs in my house on any given day. That's also where the scorpion will be.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. soldierof4cheese

soldierof4cheese Arachnoknight Active Member

I keep mine at 80' to 90', the 70's seems to cold. Like the others said, they may live but not thrive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkness975

darkness975 A Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

They will live at those temperatures. Their metabolism will be slower.

This does not apply to all the species you listed, but H. arizonensis is active when the temps are on the cooler side in their native range.

7. HumanSculptures

HumanSculptures Arachnopeon

NJ
    Thanks AGAIN for all the advice and help! Looks like I'll keep them in the heated cabinet where it's nice and warm. Thank you all.