Scorpions in Flroida

LenG444

Arachnopeon
Scorpions in Florida

Hi

I'm new to this and I was wondering if I can capture Scorpions in the wild in South Florida? I know of a few species that are wild(C. gracilis)but where would I look for them?

Thanks
Lenny

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

My guess would be under rocks, boards, woodpiles, leaf litter, etc. Be careful, of course! There are other critters that lurk in those areas with just as bad and worse venom! Maybe someone in southern Florida can give you better hunting tips!

Take care,

Paul

LenG444

Arachnopeon
Thanks phoenixxavierre for the info.

Is there anyone out there familiar of the area of Southern Florida where Scorpions lurk?

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The species you are most likely to find in S Florida are C.hentzi and C.guanensis though C.gracilis is also present but is more common in the western parts of S Florida and in central and N central parts of the state.

John
];')

Andrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, when i was hunting in texas i found that trees with loose bark are good spots and leaf litter is good but use your forceos and take layer off at a time.
Thanks
Andrew
P.S Good luck

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just about to make a topic asking the same thing. I'm in Florida right now as well, I'm located on Pensacola Beach, which is a small island on the panhandle. I haven't had much searching time yet, but I'll try looking under some bark on trees for some scorpions. I'm heading out to Desdin tomorrow morning, what are some speces to keep an eye out for over there?

P.S. I'm sitting in the travel information center, I don't even think I'm supposed to use the internet here. Hehe:cool:

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I have heard of scorps found near the AL-FL border. They most likely are C.hentzi but may also be C.vittatus stowaways that have managed to establish themselves there.

John
];')

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
C.hentzi are common in the area i used to live in FL. The best place to look for these is around water, and area's that stay damp. Like around pools. Check under planters, pots, loose bark and palm litter. Around the pool area is where i had the most luck. And becasue of the pattio's light color it was easy to see them. All but 1 that i found was found durring the day.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Isometrus maculatus is also said to have been distributed into Florida, but the exact locale of the specimen(s) identified is unknown by me. Most likely, it is South Florida (tropics and subtropics are this species locale). Just remember not to over collect (and send me a few if you locate this species *lol*).

adios,
edw. =D

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
I've been catching lots of C. gracilis west of I-95 in Broward County. Anywhere in vacant lots and such they seem to be quite common. I just got back from a little foraging trip. In an hour I caught 3. I've never seen C. hentzi up here. I usually have to go down to Homestead to find them.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
You might also be able to find C.guanensis as well.

Do you find alot of C.hentzi? Or are they less common that far south?...I know there are places in central Florida where C.hentzi are abundant.

John
];')

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going down to Florida next month, is there any chance of finding them in December?

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Actually, mostly what you find that far south is C. guanensis. I never really get up to the central part of the state, so south is my only option for C. hentzi, but they aren't particularly common. What I have noticed though is that in the Broward/Palm beach area it seems to be mostly C. gracilis. I don't know if that's due to human activities, or displacement of the smaller species by C. gracilis, or both. But the smaller species just don't seem to be very common in that stretch at all, at least not in the places I've looked. Unfortunately my schedule seldom allows for trips dedicated to scorp hunting. I just always carry my stuff with me and make quick searches when I spot a likely area and have a little time. Maybe C. gracilis just does better in disturbed areas (and this area of South Florida is pretty disturbed, in every sense of the word).

As for December, a lot will depend on the weather. Winter weather here is highly variable, with stretches in the 60's and 70's interrupted by days in the 30's and 40's. If you happen to hit a stretch of warm days, there's a decent chance of finding some. That's assuming you're in South Florida. Farther north it gets colder a lot more often, so you're probably less likely to have good scorping weather.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool...hopefully it'll be a little warmer when we go. I'm actually from the clearwater, tampa area and that's where we'll be going. My brother says he see them from time to time but he doesn't know what specie they are.

Thanks,
Tim

LenG444

Arachnopeon
I have been recently been told by a park ranger that Scorpions have been sited in State Park called Huge Taylor Birch Park. I'm interested in identifying the species but I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to collect in State Parks. Also there are Aligators where the Scorpions have been sited:D
Eurypterid , where again did you collect C. Gracilis at west of I-95? Its not that far from where I live because I also live in Broward County.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
I've just been going to empty lots and stuff, especially around Pompano Beach, about 1-2 miles west of 95. They seem to be pretty common in that area. There was a big old housing development they just tore down over there, on Prospect. I'd love to get in there. It was abandoned for a long time, so I bet the place was just crawling with them. And now that they've torn it down, they're probably scattering all over the area.

I pass through there almost every day, so if it's after dark and I have a little time, I'll stop and lift up some old junk or whatever and shine my light under there (I always carry a UV light in the car, along with a pair of tongs and a big plastic jar with a tight lid). I just stopped last night and caught a really nice little female.

LenG444

Arachnopeon
LOL
I wondering what people are thinking when they see you walking around with a uv light , searching through wood and junk? I tried looking around the C14 cannals but it was durring daytime with no luck. I guess I'll buy a portable blacklight(uv light) this week.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Hehe, yeah, I wonder about that as well sometimes. Oh well, they probably think I'm so strange that they'd rather not mess with me. I especially wonder what BSO must think if they see me. So far, no one has said anything.

I've been using this LED light, and I really like it. It's so bright that it'll flouresce a scorp right trough glass or plastic just fine, without throwing light all over the place, and all in a very small, light package.

The scorps in this area seem to especially like old cinderblock walls. I find a lot of remains of molts around cracks in the walls, and at least half of all the scorps I find are either sitting on or in a wall.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
During my early youth (10-12 years old) I used to catch Centruroides sp. in central Florida. My method was simple, I would take my father's ladder into the woods, and set it up against a dead lobblolly pinetree. Then piece by piece I would peel away the bark. sometimes id catch a half dozen in a couple hours, others none at all.