1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpions having "personality" "preferences" and "feelings"

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Connerl8k, Jun 6, 2017.

1. lizardminion

lizardminion Arachnolord

Advertisement
    Interesting feelings. Despite this, it's becoming more commonly known that there are some basic fundamentals in their behavior for certain things such as territorial nature, as well as becoming more familiar with members of the same family unit, particularly in the genus Heterometrus, (a genus I'm more familiar with) where siblings can coexist more peacefully as opposed to, say, two female strangers who were introduced to one another more randomly after being purchased from a pet shop when specifically asking for breeding pair.
    Most of their interesting behaviors are displayed when it comes to a context of reproduction. As previously stated, females in the genus Heterometrus are typically very territorial towards one another, and which I've seen first-hand when being given two female H. petersii despite asking for a breeding pair, only to end up with the two fighting. (I now have a male after one of the females incidentally and unfortunately perished) However, females kept together from the same brood have been known to peacefully cohabitate with one another. In addition, it appears mothers in the genus Heterometrus seem to recognize their young, as they feed and nurture them even beyond their second molt, notoriously catching prey items and eviscerating them into bite sized pieces appropriate for a scorpling. Perhaps other genuses may do this as well.
    Other than that, scorpions only need to communicate with one another for the purposes of mating. Anyone ever having the good fortune of introducing male scorpion to a female can attest to their graceful, complex, and intriguing method of communicating towards the opposite sex (under peaceful conditions of course) as the males vibrates, the female wags her metasoma, and the two lock pedipalps and dance before eventual insemination. Beyond that, I'd theorize individual recognition between two cohabitating individuals likely arises from pheromone recognition.

On the topic of personalities, I'm under the theory, from what I know so far unprofessionally studying much of the animal kingdom for much of my entire cringey teenage life and into my 20th year on this planet, that two factors seem to influence as organism's personality. (provided said organism has a centralized nervous system) The first being genetic fundamentals, as genes provide the basis for the chemical compositions and structuring that make up all the organ systems, including the nervous systems. A simple mutation altering the appearance or lack thereof of one protein may entirely change or dismantle an animal's personality and behavior from it's basal form. Alternatively, it may do nothing at all. It simply depends on the compound in question.
    The second factor that plays a role are environmental influences. Environmental cues can induce behaviors that relate to stress, or other adaptive mechanisms, including activity in neural pathways that relate to memory. (barring animals incapable of this sort of information retention) I will also include hormone activity under this category as it relates to the internal environment of the animal. Male and female animals are known to behave differently, obviously, and a female animal may or may not become more temperamental when gravid or in the presence of their young, whereas testosterone may make some animals (usually vertebrates but not always) either more competitively aggressive or, conversely, more placid in other situations. Environmental factors during embryonic and fetal development are the most important here as well, as the very basis and fundamentals of the neural network is formed during this time.
    To put it short, genetics are the primary culprit here, with environmental factors also playing important roles, especially during embryonic development, and much of this flexibility bleeds into juvenile life stages in the case of many more complex vertebrates. Environmental factors also determine much of the behaviors expressed by an animal, with core personality probably influencing what kind of reaction said animal would make.
    I'd reckon more basal animals such as most if not all invertebrates are mostly bound by their genetics in terms of personality and behavior as opposed to environmentally influenced memory, due to their simple limitations when it comes to memory retention. This does not mean, however, that an entire species can be expected to behave the same, as mutations occur randomly and can be quite often, and this can result in, say, one bark scorpion behaving with docility whereas another may be more easily agitated. When it comes to scorpions, there does appear to be very basic information retention as individuals may establish a territory that they become familiar with and will defend from other individuals.

So, to sum up, I would say it appears that any animal with a centralized nervous system may have a genetically written personality basis that determines their limitations to be docile or temperamental. Scorpion behaviors in specific, do seem to have a basal information retention system when it comes to certain, specific things, such as individual recognition in social species. In addition, they seem to retain information in regards to their territory and as such probably some aspects of their surroundings, such as their preferred hiding spot or the like. I would not, however, suggest a scorpions may be expected to figure out metaphysics anytime soon, or which one would make a funnier presidential candidate. Regardless, enjoy your basal little primitive beasts for what they are, and what they've been for the past millions of years.