Scorpions from southern AZ. USA.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
First one not S mesaensis. What type of environment was it found?

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Can you get a picture of the telson on the first one?
The first one isnt S.m at all. Telsons way to thick
First one not S mesaensis. What type of environment was it found?
Ok, I'm looking at the metasoma now and it is definitely too thick. Now I am more confused.
Here are some pics that have good resolution on the metasoma and telson. The prosoma isn't as smooth as it appeared in the first photo as well. IMG_0839.JPG There is a very small accessory spine on the telson visible in the second photo. IMG_0842.JPG

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm going to guess Paravaejovis confusus on that one. Smeringurus has a much more slender metasoma. I do believe that males have a longer metasoma as well.

Vincent Sherloy

Arachnopeon
Yeah, first doesn't really look like a Smeringurus metasoma. Maybe a very light-coloured Vaejovis confusus, also judging the pincer length.
Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
The 2nd is definitely a confusus complex. The first one is a Vaejovis that more pics would be needed to figure out what it is. So many new montane vaejovids discovered the past few years in AZ...

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
paravaejovis confusus. BTW hoffmannius is not a valid taxon, the current genus is Paravaejovis.
Thanks, confusus was my first guess in the field but then started second guessing after the photo was taken.

Good to know. These things change so quick sometimes. I didn't like the name Hoffmannius that much. Not really fond of vanity binomials (when scientists put their name on everything). It is better.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I have a couple more to add after last weekend's trip: Uroctonites huachuca and another small Vaejovis sp. Time for photographing is scarce these days.