Scorpions & Flourite Sand?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Recently I purchased and added flourite sand to my cichlid tank, but I've got about half a bag left. This is the exact sand I have in my possession. My question is, for scorpions who need sandy substrate will this be safe for them?

It says:
  • Fluorite is not chemically coated or treated and will not alter the pH of the water.
  • Seachem Flourite Planted Aquarium Natural Substrate Supplement is a stable porous clay gravel for natural planted aquariums, and may be used in any aquarium environment.
So no chemicals is a good start but the clay gravel part gives me pause. I'm too new to scorpions to know if clay is good, bad, or doesn't matter one bit. I'd rather get some experienced people's opinion on the subject. Has anyone used this or something similar? It's not a big deal to get different sand in the future if need be but it'd be great to find a use for my leftover bag of sand.

Thanks for your responses and time in advance!

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Clay shouldn't cause an issue, many of my local scorps live on a nearly entirely clay soil in the wild. However, captive enclosures sometimes change the rules. For example pythons which live in very sandy environments are still not often kept on sand to avoid impaction of the bowels. So that's a "go ahead" from me, but stay tuned for somebody else's advice. For reference, what species is your scorp?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Clay shouldn't cause an issue, many of my local scorps live on a nearly entirely clay soil in the wild. However, captive enclosures sometimes change the rules. For example pythons which live in very sandy environments are still not often kept on sand to avoid impaction of the bowels. So that's a "go ahead" from me, but stay tuned for somebody else's advice. For reference, what species is your scorp?
I don't have any scorpions just yet. I'm still in the "research" phase. I've got enough tarantulas to keep me entertained while I learn.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I did wonder why I didn't often see you on this side of the site. Welcome :)
Thanks! Mystery solved, haha. The only inverts I've kept are tarantulas and a couple true spiders so I've got pretty much nothing of value to offer over here.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I would say it is safe also and could be a great type of sand to mix with play sand which is really cheap $5 for 50 lbs at your local hardware store.
Nice to see another cichlid fan out there also :) love those lil colorful killers lol

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
if it can be used for aquaria its generally safe
I figured that would be the case but the age old adage always holds true-- better safe than sorry.

I would say it is safe also and could be a great type of sand to mix with play sand which is really cheap $5 for 50 lbs at your local hardware store.
Nice to see another cichlid fan out there also :) love those lil colorful killers lol
Yep! They are as beautiful as they are ferocious. I prefer the look of marine tanks, but having kept both-- fresh water tanks are easier. Especially since I don't have access to an RO/DI system. I've heard the true challenge is discus though. I always wanted to give them a shot but my water (on a well, not city) is incredibly hard and I've read they need very soft water.

Some day, maybe.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting. I have never used this sand so I can't say for sure how it will work. It sounds like it's safe enough chemically speaking - if it's safe for use in an aquarium, there should be no issues with using it for scorps. The one concern I'd have is how well it will hold up to burrowing, particularly if you are leaning toward desert scorpions. Many people use a clay/sand mix for their scorpions because sand alone is too lose for burrows to stay intact - they collapse easily. Clay by itself can get too hard to dig in. This one says that it's a "porous clay gravel" which sounds promising - except the stabilization process to prevent the clay from getting mucky when used in the wet environment of an aquarium sounds like it might prevent it from lending any stability to a burrow. I suspect it will be just like play sand or fine gravel and will not maintain structural integrity. But you have half a bag of the stuff - try mixing a bit with sand or other substrates, maybe add a bit of water then allow it to dry out, and make a few "test burrows" to see if it holds up or caves in.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
But you have half a bag of the stuff - try mixing a bit with sand or other substrates, maybe add a bit of water then allow it to dry out, and make a few "test burrows" to see if it holds up or caves in.
Play with wet sand for science? Sounds like a good time to me. I guess since people aren't familiar with this sand I could always put my findings here on how well it works, when I've actually got some scorpions in my possession to help test it out. I mean, I can make test burrows to see if it holds but it won't have the scorpion stamp of approval until some scorpions approve it right?

AusBugKid

Arachnosquire
Play with wet sand for science? Sounds like a good time to me. I guess since people aren't familiar with this sand I could always put my findings here on how well it works, when I've actually got some scorpions in my possession to help test it out. I mean, I can make test burrows to see if it holds but it won't have the scorpion stamp of approval until some scorpions approve it right?
Yes please, would love to know how it goes

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
While it wouldn't have the scorpion approval, you could use balloons (smaller ones) and mold the mixture around them. Makeshift burrows if you will. Give it time to dry out and see if it holds up after removing the balloons.
That's what I will be trying with excavator clay (Zoo-Med kit) and a sandmix.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you can count me in as a cichlid fan. Though i learned the hard way years ago how ferocious they are ;)
And yes play sand has been my choice with a little dry eco earth

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
you can count me in as a cichlid fan. Though i learned the hard way years ago how ferocious they are ;)
And yes play sand has been my choice with a little dry eco earth
There's this video of a P. dovii on youtube I like to watch every once in a while. What a fuss bucket!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Recently I purchased and added flourite sand to my cichlid tank, but I've got about half a bag left. This is the exact sand I have in my possession. My question is, for scorpions who need sandy substrate will this be safe for them?

It says:
  • Fluorite is not chemically coated or treated and will not alter the pH of the water.
  • Seachem Flourite Planted Aquarium Natural Substrate Supplement is a stable porous clay gravel for natural planted aquariums, and may be used in any aquarium environment.
So no chemicals is a good start but the clay gravel part gives me pause. I'm too new to scorpions to know if clay is good, bad, or doesn't matter one bit. I'd rather get some experienced people's opinion on the subject. Has anyone used this or something similar? It's not a big deal to get different sand in the future if need be but it'd be great to find a use for my leftover bag of sand.

Thanks for your responses and time in advance!
I would assume it is probably safe. A species such as H. arizonensis needs a sand / excavator clay ratio for proper burrowing. As stated by others, there are other species that also exist in clay dominated regions. Clay in and of itself is not really bad.

Given that it is safe for Aquarium use I would guess that it is probably safe for Invertebrate use.

In your case, check the product with your hand. You know that whichever species you get will probably burrow into it (if it is an obligate burrower than that is a guarantee) so double check that it is not seemingly too rough for the little one. Rough grains could be an issue.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Yep! They are as beautiful as they are ferocious. I prefer the look of marine tanks, but having kept both-- fresh water tanks are easier. Especially since I don't have access to an RO/DI system. I've heard the true challenge is discus though. I always wanted to give them a shot but my water (on a well, not city) is incredibly hard and I've read they need very soft water.

Some day, maybe.
Yeah discus are tricky and absolutely gorgeous !
I always loved having my red devils and jack dempseys around to smash up some feeder goldfish though. That P dovii in that video acts pretty much like my dempseys always jumping up and almost out of the tank lol

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Keeping with the off-topic;
When I was younger I had a nice sized Tiger Oscar who was notorious for wrecking things. The only fish that was safe in his tank was the foot long pleco. They either hated each other or got along and played because we went through multiple heaters from them smashing them.
Years later I helped a friend out with his managuense, nicknamed "A Hole" Aside from a heater and sand nothing was allowed in HIS tank. :wideyed: He would even chase us outside of it similar to the Dovii in the video.
If I were to ever get back into fish, South American cichlids would be my absolute first choice. And I'm sure like me, the rest of us would enjoy seeing you post about yours @miss moxie :)