Scorpions and fertilizer

Tyler Lawrence

Arachnopeon
I am trying to make my first bioactive soil for Asian Forest scorpion
One of the ingredients was Pete moss and the one I bought says it has fertilizer in it
Is it bad for scorpions/tarantulas?
It's miracle grow Pete moss
Thanks

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
If my memory serves me correct, that mix will have osmocote. Which basically looks like a round little yellow beads/ball. Osmocote will absorb water...plump up...and when it gets dry enough...pop like a balloon and provide the soil with nutrients and water. You should be able to easily pick them off. That's about as much help as I can provide. Good Luck!

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Thanks
Do you know if the osmocote is harmful to scorpions?
To be honest my friend...I'm a newbie to this hobby and that's with T's...not scorpions. The osmocote is basically the fertilizer...I'd personally remove them from the peat moss. You won't have too many...at least not compared to a potting mix.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Tom Moran mentioned having a bag of top soil that had this type of fertilizer. He had multiple deaths in his collection because of it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’d go the store and pick up a bag of plain old topsoil. It’s really cheap and you’re not going to be risking the health of your animals.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I work in the Growing Media industry and I'll give you some info from my personal experience.

Not all "topsoil" is created equal. The high end (which is probably $1 more than the low end) should normally be ok to use. The low end bag (or the cheapest) is another story. It's what a bakery would call it's "bread pudding". Normally the Green thumb buyer is getting more bag for it's buck. Since it may contain left overs of un-bagged soil.

A product I'd recommend for those who live on a budget (like myself) is EarthGro Ground Cover. It comes in a 2CF bag and normally found at the stores next to the pallets of mulch. It cheaper that soil since it's somewhat considered a "mulch" (since it's also used to cover the soil to prevent it from drying out and detouring weeds from popping up.