1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpions adjusting venom *article*

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by AusBugKid, Oct 11, 2017.

1. AusBugKid

AusBugKid Arachnosquire

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Interesting.

3. Mila

Mila Arachnoknight

whilst interesting i imagine this isnt species wide. wouldnt be the first time evolution in austrlia went a bit weird and crazy. im looking at you platypus

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. AusBugKid

AusBugKid Arachnosquire

Some of us are yet to see a platypus in the wild, so can't be sure it isn't a hoax perpetrated by our government for tourism...
    @Mila

• Like Like x 1
  5. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince

Read that URL as "can twerk their venom" so you know. Good times.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AusBugKid

AusBugKid Arachnosquire

Hahaha shake that telson girl!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. AusBugKid

AusBugKid Arachnosquire

9. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

Interesting, Urodacus yaschenkoi can spray it's venom as a mist into a predators eyes so not only can they change the venom (probably) but also the delivery!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Scorpusvonpork

Scorpusvonpork Arachnosquire

Canada
    Very relatable. A year ago I moved onto the worst street in our town. Guns, cops, needles, vomit, prostitutes etc. I adjusted my venom accordingly. I have since moved away to a peaceful neighborhood. I'm now able to relax a lot more lol. Oddly one of my dictators seems to have molted on the truck ride over to the new house. Or very very soon after we got them relocated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Scorpusvonpork

Scorpusvonpork Arachnosquire

Canada
    Platypi are venomous. (I just enjoy saying that)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    This is old news, interesting still though. I remember reading the same basic info at least 5 years ago. I think the more social scorpions esp have the ability for what's talked about in the article. I didn't read the whole thing, maybe it mentioned that in there. It makes me think of P. imperator, I think they sting each other pretty often, pushing others out of the way, esp when one has food. Prob a really weak venom used there, felt it on my fingers before. But I tell you, one time, I was trying to help an imperator that was stuck and it found my thumb and that sting felt like a hornet, one of the worse stings I've felt and I've been stung by some of the worst.

13. AusBugKid

AusBugKid Arachnosquire

Hey interesting, do you have any info you can link me re. that? Love my U. yaschenkoi, very rewarding species, as Aussies go.

Haha yeah they are, I think only males? It's true of other monotremes. Ridiculous place this is.

Nice first hand experience, still needs a half dozen repeats for experimental integrity... :p

14. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Arachnoknight Active Member

@AusBugKid , I know the information on yaschenkoi is in Mark Newtons book but I'm sure it was also mentioned in other articles and caresheets he wrote. His website is "the spiral burrow" and he also wrote caresheets for the green scorpion site which is now defunct but the caresheets are there if you use the right search terms. Basically any online information on Australian scorpions was probably written by Mark.
    Keep in mind that when Mark has witnessed this behaviour was probably after digging the scorpion out of its meter deep burrow, putting it into a white ice cream container and then subjecting it to flash photography!
    I haven't witnessed it myself but then I've never annoyed one to that degree! They are a skittish species, I'm sure they'd get very agitated if they couldn't escape though. In his book he goes so far as to recommend eye protection when dealing with yasch so I guess he's seen it more than once.