1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Scorpions: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual - Rubio, Manny

Discussion in 'Book and Magazine Reviews' started by skinheaddave, Aug 15, 2002.

1. skinheaddave

skinheaddave SkorpionSkin Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Scorpions: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual

Positive

Written by Manny Rubio and published by Barron's, this book covers all the basics of scorpion care much better than most books I have read on the subject. There is even a couple handy charts in the middle that cover the basic care of some common pet species. If you don't feel like trudging through hundreds of pages of scientific information (see the post on "Scorpion Biology" by G.A. Polis) but do want to keep scorpions, this is the book I would recommend.

Cheers,
    Dave

2. Eurypterid

Eurypterid Arachnerd Old Timer

POSITIVE

Overall I think Manny Rubio's book is an excellent introduction to the keeping of scorpions. He does a very good job of outlining all the aspects of care, breeding, and raising them in captivity. Especially useful is a chart showing general care parameters (such as temp, humidity, substrate, etc.) for several species commonly found in the pet trade, which makes such crucial information fast and easy to access. Also, there are many very nice photographs to illustrate the many types.

My one criticism of the book is the amount of space given to scorpion species that he discourages people from keeping due to their potent venom. If the purpose of the book is to give information on the keeping of scorpions, then I don't understand the inclusion of detailed genus/species accounts, as well as husbandry tables, of scorpions he recommends not keeping. While the information is of use to anyone interested in scorpions, or for people who choose to keep these species against Rubio's advice, its very nature runs counter to the stated purpose of the author. And if he truly intended to disuade people from keeping these species, simply not including information that will pique interest would probably have been more effective than his over-sensationalized sermon on his feelings about such things as the name "Deathstalker". The information, while useful and interesting, does not belong in this particular book.

However, the rest of the book more than overcomes this one minor flaw. The relevant information is well-stated, easy to follow, and quite useful. Of the general guides on the keeping of these animals, it stands out as one of the best available.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  3. Kugellager

Kugellager ArachnoJester Arachnosupporter

POSITIVE

This book is an excellent book for those considering to get into the interesting hobby of keeping scorpions. It has alot if pertinent information that beginners as well as intermediate scorpions keepers can use in the purchase, care, mating and rearing of young. Much of the husbandry information presented throughout this book is also summarized in two easy to use charts. There are also frequent photographs of many of the scorpion species discussed.

Overall, I do wish there was more detailed accounts for several of the commonly kept species but as I stated earlier this is book for beginners.

Another important bit of information to point out to those considering the purchase of this book is to be mindful of the mistakes in the first edition of this publication that were subsequently corredted in its second printing. These mistakes, from what I understand were the results of the printers and not the author. However, it is something to be aware of.

Its a good book, good information...I still read it regularly and frequently refer back to the husbandry charts.

John
    ];')

4. Positive

I purchased this book last week and have not put it down.
    Being new to scorpions I like the easy to understand wording.
    I also like the legend showing the potential dangerous specious and the not so dangerous ones.
    Pictures are great especially the close ups.
    If your new to scorpions I would recommend you pick up a copy of "Scorpions- A Complete Pet Owners Manual".

5. Hoosier

Hoosier Arachnobaron Old Timer

Great Book++

I purchased this book off of half.com for a cheap price about 1 year before I bought my first emp. This is a good book that covers the basics with addition information on how to hunt for scorpions and breeding them. The chart in the book is also very useful and I will probably be using it through the rest of my hobby. The pics are very cool too.

6. Highlander

Highlander Arachnobaron Old Timer

Good book but could have had more info on the differn't species and could have generaly gone into better detail.Still a good book though.

7. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

++++positive

I bought this book while back and I think it is full of good information.

8. tarsier

tarsier Arachnodemon

positive

liked it fine.

the venom guide was very instructive although i hoped there would be more info as to housing requirements and the like.

9. 1/2

1/2 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Positive

This is a verry informative book. The info about various scorpions is verry good. Beginner scorpions (P.Imperator, Hetrometrus) are vell described and the info you need before you aquire your first scorpion is all there.

All in all a verry good book. :D

10. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

positive

great intro book!

well written

i have no technical gripes.

shorter than i would have liked, but then again... all books are to me =P

good read, i like to pick it up from time to time and read from a random page just to keep myself sharp :)

11. Malcara

Malcara Arachnoknight

Scorpions A Complete Pet Owner's Manual

Title: Scorpions _ Sub-title: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual _ Author: Manny Rubio _ Publisher: Barron's Educational Service Inc.

I've had scorps for years so I'm no novice, but when flipping through this book while waiting for busy pet store workers to assist me with getting a few dozen crickets, I knew had to buy it. Not only is it the perfect book for beginners, but it's also an excellent quick reference guide to go back to. I reccomend everyone who owns or desires to own a scorp read this book. It covers it all, from buying, taxonomy & anatomy, breeding, behavior, handling, envenomations what to do and not to, and a chart that has the 50 most common kept scorpions in the hobby which gives all the info needed to caring for them. Excellent book, no typos, no BS, straight forward, and well written so it's easy to understand. 2 thumbs up!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

12. I just got it.

I'm not really a big fan of it. There were some good parts but there also seemed to be at least one piece of false information in every paragraph. Not much in the book about true husbandry on the species to species level either.

13. Wlsn8888

Wlsn8888 Arachnopeon

UK
    Im new to keeping Scorpions, or anything exotic to be honest. I bought this book and studied it before buying my first Emperor Scorpion. i found it very helpfull in most parts, and intersting. There were a few things i was left unclear about, but it was on the whole a really usefull guide. The table at the back was very interesting. Id recomend it to anyone who is a begginer to keeping Scorpions. :)

14. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

Finally got this book for Christmas.
    POSITIVE
    Overall, a great book, although not as in-depth as the TKG for the tarantula hobby.

There are only two criticisms I can really make:
    1.) Needs more detail, generally.
    2.) The chart in the back was difficult to use, I couldn't find some things on the chart in the legend and was left guessing on quite a few things.

15. Great book, very informative. I learned a lot with this book. Great images too. On one of the last pages, it shows a table of diffeent especies and how to maintain them. I read the newest edition.