Scorpion wanted...newbie.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Jennifer here...

I've been MIA from here for many months now...In the mean time, I've developed an interest in scorps. They have always been on my radar, but now I must invest in this pet. I have done research, and have decided on a P. imperator, but had some questions first.

I want a docile species for my first. I've read Pandinus are about as docile as they get, but have also read Hadogenes are quite docile as well. I kind of had my heart set on a P. imperator, but as they are banned from importation, the prices are high and they are difficult to come by...plus there are scams out there bcz of this. I want to be careful. Could anyone please advise on a fantastic first acquisition??

I'm most interested in a DOCILE...not-so-agressive species...I do not plan to breed or house more than 1 in an enclosure...I may handle, but not likely, but I may consider it, so please provide me with some advice.

Thanx!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I just started keeping scorpions, and so far I'm enamoured with C. gracilis! They're native to North America so they're easy to find and cheap, and can be kept communally.

This is the communal tank I set up, 5g with 5 adults in it.

It's a great display. They're very docile in my opinion, preferring to walk away when I bother them rather than stabbing at the tongs with their tail or grabbing at it with their claws. No, I don't bother them for fun, but initially I tried to feed them wax worms and would gently wave it at them and push it softly at one of their claws to try and get them to recognize it as food and they would just walk away. They respond well to crickets though!

doodledog

Arachnopeon
I just started keeping scorpions, and so far I'm enamoured with C. gracilis! They're native to North America so they're easy to find and cheap, and can be kept communally.

This is the communal tank I set up, 5g with 5 adults in it.

It's a great display. They're very docile in my opinion, preferring to walk away when I bother them rather than stabbing at the tongs with their tail or grabbing at it with their claws. No, I don't bother them for fun, but initially I tried to feed them wax worms and would gently wave it at them and push it softly at one of their claws to try and get them to recognize it as food and they would just walk away. They respond well to crickets though!

Very nice!! Do you find it better to have a communal tank vs just 1 individual scorp?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hadogenes would fit the bill then. Slow moving, slow to anger and very very hardy. Dry with a little bit of heat and a couple spots to hide and they're good to go. They can live for quite a while too, which is really nice. It wouldn't be too hard to find a larger individual that's well priced as well. I've had a couple and loved both of them. My old female was great to handle and I would take her to outreach events on occasion.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Please note that there's no way to handle C. gracilis (though I agree they make good display scorps). They're in the buthid family, so they have stronger venom than other scorpion groups. Certainly not the most nervous or venomous of the family, but if they sting you'll definitely feel it. Hadogenes aren't medically significant and the most one will do is pinch.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Very nice!! Do you find it better to have a communal tank vs just 1 individual scorp?
Welp I only have 2 scorplings that I keep individually, since I'm still getting into the scorpion hobby. The communal is a bit more interesting to see the scorpions snuggle together, but the two scorplings I keep separate are still great. They're B. jacksoni, super pretty!

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I would completely agree with what @pannaking22 stated
hadogenes are a perfect starter scorpion including temperament, requirements needed to keep them, price and durability. P imperator are just too expensive as a starter species and have alot more needs compared to a hadogenes. I think @gromgrom may have some available also so finding them should be easy

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Please note that there's no way to handle C. gracilis (though I agree they make good display scorps). They're in the buthid family, so they have stronger venom than other scorpion groups. Certainly not the most nervous or venomous of the family, but if they sting you'll definitely feel it. Hadogenes aren't medically significant and the most one will do is pinch.
Oh yeah, I thought I mentioned not to handle them. My B! They're definitely a great "look but don't touch" scorpion.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You should keep the scorplings separated but you can keep them communally as adults in some species. For the most part scorps like to be kept on their own and putting them together in the same tank usually ends with one very fat or victorious scorp, even with the same species. Mating of course is different but you would still want to keep an eye on them (assuming you want to breed them, which doesn't sound like it's the case).

Babycurus jacksoni are also Buthidae. Nice scorp to keep, but still can't be handled.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I agree w/h @Scorpionluva, @pannaking22 on getting a Hadogenes. I like/keep paucidens, an adult female and 5 scorplings. Scorplings are from @gromgrom, over a year ago and the most docile little critters. Lol! I've gotten frustrated at times when they fast, Dustin warned me of this. When hungry they'll eat pretty much any prey offered. I've yet to see them use their stinger, those palps are more than adequate to subdue feeders. Not what I consider an active species, except when hungry, but are visible quite often. The olive banding on the terglites gives an appealing appearance too.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
I understand the Hadogenes prefer more of a desert environment...and need heat...is it recommended to use s heat lamp or undertank heater..like I use with my lizards?With the depth of the substrate, i wouldn't see much need for anything undertank...Also is misting recommended??

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Hadogenes would be a perfect match for what you are looking for.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Hadogenes would be a perfect match for what you are looking for.
Thank you!!

I did see a thread from @Reptilesbyrick that that stated he had 3 3i slings of P. imperator for sale this morning for $35... Was orignally trying to get my hands on one of those... But prices are sky high and a true species is hard to come by nowadays.... If you had a choice between the 2 species, which would you honestly choose??

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Both. Scorpions are addicting so you'll most likely get both species eventually. Go with the Hadogenes(an adult) first to get a feel for things. A 3i P imperator might be nerve wracking for a first time keeper to raise.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Thanx for your input!! How difficult are the P. Imperator slings at first compared to a mature Hadogenes??

Lorenzo Benevento

Arachnosquire
Thanx for your input!! How difficult are the P. Imperator slings at first compared to a mature Hadogenes??
If you like so much Pandinus genus, you could go with Heterometrus genus (if I didn't lost some piece of the conversation). They are really similar in dimension and can be kept in the same way!
Also, you should be able of getting an adult at a low price!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have done research, and have decided on a P. imperator, but had some questions first.
You are unlikely to find a true Pandinus imperator anywhere given their status and the CITIES ban. If you do happen to find any, they will be pretty pricey. I would consider paying up to a certain amount for one if I didn't already have three 4i babies in my invertebrate collection. I shouldn't have them together but at the moment I am very tight on space so I had to house them together. I keep them well fed (usually) and so far it's been okay, but it is definitely not recommended to keep them communally until they are larger.

You might want to consider an adult specimen of Hadrurus arizonensis or Smeringurus mesaensis. They have the more "traditional classic Scorpion" look to them but their Venom is not medically significant. They are dry species that hail from the Deserts of North Amerika.

Alternatively, if you wish to acquire a Rain Forest species, you could go with a Heterometrus spp. They are similar enough to Pandinus spp. that you keep them virtually the same.

H. arizonensis and S. mesaensis are not really "docile" in the sense that they are generally quick to become defensive, and even Heterometrus spp. are not without their days of irritation. You had mentioned you are looking for something "docile" in your OP. The fact is, you really should not be handling them. They are a look don't touch pet like fish.

Pandinus and Heterometrus tend to hide most of the time once they get their burrows established. Hadrurus and Smeringurus are more active.

I personally am not a fan of Hadogenes spp. from a strictly aesthetic standpoint. I like the more "classic" scorpion look as stated above. But I concur with others that have posted above that an adult Hadogenes spp. is a good choice for your first Scorpion.

Whichever species you decide to go with, I (and most people here) advise against handling.

In regards to your inquiry about the difficulty of raising P. imperator slings as compared to an adult Hadogenes spp; Adults of any species are usually a lot hardier and more forgiving of keeper mistakes. Slings are more delicate. My trio of P. imperators are doing well so far, but I sadly killed my fair share of adults in the past when they were a dime a dozen and I was young and not so wise on their care.

Here are two of the color morphs of Hadrurus spp. I have.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hope I didnt come into this thread too late

I'm gonna echo others with Hadogenes sp. They're slow growing, easy to care for, and very docile specimen. I have some i got as 2nd instars in 2011 that are only 4" long now and still subadults!

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I usually suggest heteroctenus junceus as they are 1 of my all-time favorites to keep
They aren't real docile and you cant hold them (as they are a buthid ) but their coloration is 1 of the best out there. Beautiful orange + blue scorpion ! Very easy to keep and i can give you any info needed on keeping them. Also you can win 2 for free if you guess the right number in my latest brood lol

doodledog

Arachnopeon
I usually suggest heteroctenus junceus as they are 1 of my all-time favorites to keep
They aren't real docile and you cant hold them (as they are a buthid ) but their coloration is 1 of the best out there. Beautiful orange + blue scorpion ! Very easy to keep and i can give you any info needed on keeping them. Also you can win 2 for free if you guess the right number in my latest brood lol
WOW!! I guess 23...lol I really am a newbie in the scorp trade...just when I think I've done a lot of research, I learn even more by reading here! It's the same with T's though too...always learning...