Old Timer
Championing the scorpions you have:
A.australis
A.crassicauda
L.quinquestriatus

Championing the spiders you have:
Atrax sp.
Sicarius sp.
Hadronyche sp. (another Funnel Web spider species, said to be deadlier than Atrox, butchered the spelling sorry!)

Bear in mind, Phoneutria and Latrodectus have been much maligned. Ghastly horror stories have increased our fear in these two species. Dangerous species but not downright deadly as once supposed, toxicity demands the highest respect in any regard.

Scorpions may be Mothers Nature's little killing machine but Mother Nature also created it's absolute worst nightmare, Latrodectus. A scorpion should never cross the thresh hold of this spider's anchor silk lines.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
By the way. Is sicarius in the same family as the brown recluse?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
errit said:
By the way. Is sicarius in the same family as the brown recluse?
No it's Sicariidae / Loxoscelidae.
Greetings,
Eric

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
What do you mean, a spiders fangs couldn't go through denim jeans, Have you seen the size of a full grown T.blondi's fangs(1.5in long)
I'll need a pic of one of them fangs on a ruler, if ya dont mind.
here's 1.5" ]<----------------->[
Tip of fang to base of chelicrae? Arc not withstanding........
Tony

Edit: Is this going into the MMS files? :}

Last edited:

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well venom would go to the spiders easily..some of the most toxic venom known to man.. webbing again one of the strongest substances relative to size and weight known to man.. Spiders are simply amazing :worship:

A Scorpion will kill off the smaller tarantulas, but my friend put an emperor scorpion with his slightly larger goliath (the goliath being the ambush predator it is) Grabbed the scorpion on top of its armored hide, fangs went straight through and the scorpion did get a sting in on the spider before it died although the spiders larger bulky body was in the way of it getting a good strike.. (poison relatively weak to man on an P.imperitor).

The spider was slightly sluggish afterwards but enjoyed its scorpion dinner and was very fat the next day.
That being said he put the scorpion in the spiders environment and let the scorp run into the spider...

The other way round I dunno maybe the scorp would win.

I just realized I bumped an ancient topic.. >.< sorry..

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why would you want these two fight it off, and have an EMP die. That is just cruel. Yes this may happen and does happen in nature, but being responsible for one or the other one getting killed is cold hearted. If you are collecting aracnids, and are in the hobby, I am not sure why you do not appreciate them. Think before you act.

You are comparing an EMP to a T. If you had something such as an A.Australis vs T, i am sure the tables would have turned, an EMP was weak venom. We can be on this topic forever.

Ryan_White said:
but my friend put an emperor scorpion with his slightly larger goliath (the goliath being the ambush predator it is) Grabbed the scorpion on top of its armored hide, fangs went straight through and the scorpion did get a sting in on the spider before it died although the spiders larger bulky body was in the way of it getting a good strike.. (poison relatively weak to man on an P.imperitor).

Last edited:

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think a big, angry P. transvaalicus would have them all {D.

But yeah, irresponsible and not very clever to put a scorp in with a T just to see them battle :embarrassed:.

:D

FortCooper1982

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ryan_White said:
Well venom would go to the spiders easily..some of the most toxic venom known to man.. webbing again one of the strongest substances relative to size and weight known to man.. Spiders are simply amazing :worship:

A Scorpion will kill off the smaller tarantulas, but my friend put an emperor scorpion with his slightly larger goliath (the goliath being the ambush predator it is) Grabbed the scorpion on top of its armored hide, fangs went straight through and the scorpion did get a sting in on the spider before it died although the spiders larger bulky body was in the way of it getting a good strike.. (poison relatively weak to man on an P.imperitor).

The spider was slightly sluggish afterwards but enjoyed its scorpion dinner and was very fat the next day.
That being said he put the scorpion in the spiders environment and let the scorp run into the spider...

The other way round I dunno maybe the scorp would win.

Was the emp fully grown tho? I own a fully grow emp and she's very mean i'd love to she a T try and have her for dinner! DON'T THINK SO!!

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its users like Ryan_White, that give a bad name to the hobby. If you are going to take care of arachnids, respect their lives, and the hobby. Putting a T and Emp in same cage is just war, and has , "UNGRATEFUL BASTARD", Written all over it. Why't don't we put you in a cage with a grizzly bear and all watch what happens, just stupid.
:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Last edited:

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't think that would be fair (putting him in with a grizzly) :rolleyes:.

I reckon my emp would have more than a chance against a goliath, not that I would try it :eek: {D.

But in all seriousness, it's such a juvenile and irresponsibile thing to do. But I guess people have a curiosity about this kind of thing... :?

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All of the above mentioned species have caused mortality in humans. The species with the most potent venom is probably the one that bites or stings you and there's no anti-venin about! LOL

Empwrangler

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to stir up a hornets nest start a topic like this.

Yes it is juvenile and irresponsible, but it is also morbidly fascinating.

I think this is more of a hypothetical case of us vs them that stirs our interest.

Being that I have a beloved emp, I am rooting for it to win. Would I ever put my emp in that situation...nope.

But if someone else wants to do something silly like that Im not gonna lose any sleep over it.

At least the T got a meal out of it. So it wasnt all for nothing.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please do not be angry with me, when I had arrived he had already done it.
I can't say I didnt find it facisnating to watch and I am not naturally 'cold-hearted' and felt compassion for the scorp.. but I myself would have felt more sorry if it was the spider that got ambushed because the scorpion is probably a meaner killing machine in my opinion.

I fully intend to get an emprer again (my last didn't grow to full size)

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ryan_White said:
Please do not be angry with me, when I had arrived he had already done it.
I can't say I didnt find it facisnating to watch and I am not naturally 'cold-hearted' and felt compassion for the scorp.. but I myself would have felt more sorry if it was the spider that got ambushed because the scorpion is probably a meaner killing machine in my opinion.

I fully intend to get an emprer again (my last didn't grow to full size)
These comparrisons are still of negligent action. We've all known these drunken incompetant people in our lifetime whom we wouldn't trust with children because they'ed probably strap a couple of bottle rockets to their heads for entertainment. People who torture pets for these purposes make me sick.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
brigebane said:
These comparrisons are still of negligent action. We've all known these drunken incompetant people in our lifetime whom we wouldn't trust with children because they'ed probably strap a couple of bottle rockets to their heads for entertainment. People who torture pets for these purposes make me sick.
If I had two large Creatures like this I would deem it a complete and utter waste to do this, as both animals are incredibly amazing.

But I was just retelling something from past experiance that I wish i'd kept to myself.

I really do feel what he did was incredibly harsh.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is too bad that things like this happen and I remember them constantly from Highschool. Even working in a pet retail store we had customers that would continue to pull stunts like this until I refused to sell to them.