Scorpion temperament

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
In the wild, I've always found H. spinifer, petersii and laoticus shy and retiring.

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon

When i was living in Texas, the scorpions in the wild were really skittish and wod run like cockroaches when you turned on a light or disturbed them. (Check your boots though, i shook a few out, and they cant hide or run when your foot blocks the only exit.)

I had a few as pets, but they would permanently stay hidden, and when i did maintenance would try to run and hide better.

I now have my first Asian Forest Scorpion, It was really really docile at first, the vendor held them, it prefered to be tong fed, and would politely take the roach or cricket and eat it right there before going back to its hide slowly.

Then all of the sudden super aggressive, its on high alert when i hope the ednclosure, sometimes striking the hide (its a China cup from Afghanistan so it makes a good audible noise) It will sometimes charge out pinchers snapping and tail threatening, and has managed an Escape (attempt, they are so damn slow, i tend to let it then calmly place it back in, where it realizes the futility and returns to its hide, but manages to retreat to its hide aggressively too.)

I am curious if my care is off resulting in the sudden mood shift, as this is my first humid scorp.
its hide is that cup, broke in two halves, on for the dry side, one for the wet, i switch sides about once every week or two and it always prefers moist.. substrate is 70% potting soil, 30%cocofiber and a very small amount of vermiculite. its 5 inches thick on one side and 2 on the other. It doesn't burrow, just dug the cups down so they slightly recess into the soil. temp of the room is 76F. i keep it under the nightstand for a better sense of "im safe, and outta light"
maybe the enclosure is too short for comfort? how tall does it need to be above the substrate?

Last edited: