Scorpion temperament

trajan45

Arachnopeon
I am just curious, as I keep both scorpions and Ts, do any of you keep any scorpions that can really be described as being very defensive? I’ve noticed my Ts will bite and throw up a threat posture readily, but I’ve practically shoved food in a lot of my scorpions faces and have rarely ever gotten a fight response, it’s nearly always pinch and slowly walk away if they don’t want what I’m giving them.

Honestly makes me question the whole “beginner/advanced” species thing even with tarantulas, although I may be biased as I still remain a slight arachnophobe (only spiders) thus I tend to go out of my way to take precautions.

Maybe not a super interesting thread but; any thoughts?

Edit/TLDR; I believe that it may be best to deal with hot scorpions before the bolty old world Ts ‍♂

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Both of my P. imperators are very “alert” when doing any maintainence on their enclosure, even when they have fed recently.

I would not want to put any appendage within striking distance.

My other species, except for P. transvaalicus, just like to hide.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am just curious, as I keep both scorpions and Ts, do any of you keep any scorpions that can really be described as being very defensive? I’ve noticed my Ts will bite and throw up a threat posture readily, but I’ve practically shoved food in a lot of my scorpions faces and have rarely ever gotten a fight response, it’s nearly always pinch and slowly walk away if they don’t want what I’m giving them.

Honestly makes me question the whole “beginner/advanced” species thing even with tarantulas, although I may be biased as I still remain a slight arachnophobe (only spiders) thus I tend to go out of my way to take precautions.

Maybe not a super interesting thread but; any thoughts?

Edit/TLDR; I believe that it may be best to deal with hot scorpions before the bolty old world Ts ‍♂
What species are you talking about?

My Hadrurus dont like to be disturbed and they let me know.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some species will become defensive at the drop of a hat, others just stay still or will scoot away. My Centruroides and Tityus either try to get away or will stay very still, but my Hottentotta freak out whenever I shift their enclosures.

trajan45

Arachnopeon
I’m manly keeping P. Imperator, O. Glabrifrons, H spinifer, and a small colony of C Sculpturatus. I have noticed that the large species have more of a stand your ground attitude, but not anything I would exactly describe as “aggressively” so, like some of the OW Ts I’ve kept, and for being rather hot, the bark scorpions seem super shy and reluctant to even pinch really.

Just find it kinda funny that the more “medically significant” ones are so seemingly docile. Definitely looking forward to obtaining some Tityus and possibly a few Androctonus to observe their behavior, just a bit reluctant because of the obvious potency of them

Hemilegend

Arachnopeon
I can speak for my androctonus’ they’re very timid and very rarely seen during the day. My v spinigerus are the most active, entertaining and aggressive species that I have.

trajan45

Arachnopeon
Interesting, ive read a little bit about Vaejovis before, and from what Ive gathered, their venom isnt anything too concerning either. Might have to pick up a couple at some point, always like having a couple active guys to watch. (between keeping inverts and a rather expensive cycling hobby, Im going broke hahaha). Might not be a bad idea as Ive been wanting to lean more towards desert species anyways (a bit less maintenance as I tend to travel somewhat often) :)

Hemilegend

Arachnopeon
8FC6965B-D305-4C0E-B66F-E46568BCFD25.jpeg That’s right, close to a bee sting is the conclusion I’ve come up with but never been stung by any scorps.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve heard of hottentotta, androctonus and leiurus being crazy defensive. Some so defensive that when the keeper so much as touches their enclosure, they assume defensive position.

trajan45

Arachnopeon
Well luckily there’s a reptile expo rather close to me in just over a week. Hopefully they’ll have a spinigerus there, or if I’m lucky, T stigmurus (parthenogenetic species are kinda interesting as well). Not a huge fan of how hot they are, but hey, if it can’t bolt up the glass, I’m not too uncomfortable keeping a few around since I only ever use tongs for everything anyways haha.

Small creatures with balls of steel to keep ya on your toes ;)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Pseudouroctonus redelli are the most aggressive and aggravated I’ve dealt with. V intermedius go from zero to apeshit crazy when disturbed as well.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My S. mesaensis tends to make itself very small when disturbed and barely reacts if I mist near it, but I am always aware of where my animals are when I'm doing cage maintenance and try not to stress them out too much. I've been bitten exactly once in the 25+ years I've been keeping invertebrates and it was when I got careless with a juvenile H. gigas; learned my lesson.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have a P. villosus (black) that is down right offensive.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I used to have an Androctonus bicolor and I'm fairly certain it wanted me dead. Any kind of disturbance and it would come tearing out of its hide, claws open and tail up. Besides the initial runout though it wasn't aggressive, just incredibly defensive.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have a LOT of inverts (well over a hundred) and every one, including all my OW T's will hide rather than fight, because I give them enough hiding space to disappear completely. These animals aren't looking for a fight, but if they feel backed into a corner with no place to hide they will defend themselves. Just don't stick your hands in their enclosure and you'll be fine.

Tangled

Arachnopeon
I have a P. villosus (black) that is down right offensive.
My P. villosus (orange) will flick the tongs with their tails/stinger everytime I go into their enclosure. My Pandinus emperators are curious but if you come close with the tongs the just push you away. My P. dictators move quickly but don't seem to keen on pinching or stinging either. My H. hottentotta seem to have moods. They are not reliably calm or aggressive. All my other scorps are timid and tend to freeze hoping I won't notice them.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My S. mesaensis tends to make itself very small when disturbed and barely reacts if I mist near it, but I am always aware of where my animals are when I'm doing cage maintenance and try not to stress them out too much. I've been bitten exactly once in the 25+ years I've been keeping invertebrates and it was when I got careless with a juvenile H. gigas; learned my lesson.
Paige?!?

Well, this is a surprise!

On topic, I wouldn't trust any of my Asian forest scorpions much further than I could throw them. One of them, seems to be a bit more bluff than action, but I've had the other two hit the tongs. The small one (I guess you'd call it a juvenile) is kind of cute when he does it, and the female goes all out murder-machine.
It's said that the sting isn't much but the pinch really hurts.