Scorpion setup questions

Ghost413

Arachnopeon
I am getting scorpions and I wanted to know if they could be housed in some plastic storage containers since they are much cheaper than terrariums. Also what is the easiest way to make a burrowing substrate?

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the addict---I mean hobby :p Yeah you can use plastic storage containers, just make plenty of ventilation holes on the lid and upper sides of the container(s). I use coco fiber substrate for all my inverts, burrowing species included, and have never had any issues. when you put the substrate in, make sure to pack it down tightly. Don't want loose substrate caving in. What species are you getting?

Ghost413

Arachnopeon
Haven’t made a final decision on the species but more than likely a desert hairy.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Nice. Just make sure you do your research on them and post pics of the enclosure BEFORE you get it so we can help you make sure it's properly set up and ready to go :)

Ghost413

Arachnopeon
BB663425-47A5-4823-8CD0-70F07A1F598A.jpeg E656E530-62DF-4E2A-809E-2D82C61241A1.jpeg This is the enclosure. I have drilled many small holes in the lid and on the sides. Are the holes good enough or are they too small?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I hear excavatior clay mixed with sand works well. Desert hairy scorpions dig really deep burrows in the wild, several feet I’ve read. I think we have them in the wild here and I’ve seen them at the mouths of their burrows at night. I love storage tubs!

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Just as long as the holes are smaller than the scorpion, then you shouldn't have any issues.