Scorpion refusing food

James Bell

Arachnopeon
About a week and a half ago I got myself a Red Desert Scorpion (Urodacus yaschenkoi) and created an enclosure for it using sand that holds moisture well, some leaf litter and some small rocks. over time it created a burrow for itself and started to act like it should in the wild (sitting at the entrance in an ambush like manner).

But when I put a roach or some earwigs in there and they went past the entrance it just fended them off like they were a predator. I am unable to get crickets due to having a smaller very quiet home and it would drive my mum insane hearing them 24/7.

Progressively over the past 2 days it has started getting less active and stays in its "living room" even throughout the night where it sometimes came out and explored the enclosure (it was very kind of the scorp to dig its burrow next to the edge of the enclosure so I can observe it without having to lift up rocks or leaves). I don't know if it could be going into a molt or if it just isn't hungry due to the warm weather slowing its metabolism.
Some Advice would be excellent!

I do note that this is an Australian species and many people may not have experience with it. IMAG1362.jpg IMG_20181231_201951_694.jpg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It may still be settling in, scorps tend to take a little bit to adjust to their new homes and may not eat while they figure it all out and get comfortable. Warm weather should speed up metabolism, not slow it down. Scorps can fast pretty well, so as long as it doesn't get too skinny it should be fine. Make sure it has access to water in case it wants a drink.