scorpion question

Jeffery Slavko

Arachnopeon
i just bought a Asian forest over the weekend and it was chilling its hide for the first few days. for the last day or so she's been posted half way crawled up one of the corners of the tank with her claws up and tail laid out. she moves some if i provoke her . my question is is this normal behavior? i know that they are sit an wait predators but isn't that from their hides not in the open like that. or could this be stressed behavior or premolt either way I'm in the dark here an would appreciate any help thanks.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah that's normal for a new addition. They like to explore their new homes some, though yours could just be acting weird and hanging out in a corner for now. Keep an eye on it and if the behavior continues it could be something to do with the enclosure.

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
Do you mean a Heterometrus sp.?
I know the position your talking of, when they crawl up a corner pushing themself up with their tail.
Mine does the same but he always retreats into his hide under any disturbance.

A picture of his enclosure would be helpful and maybe some words about your husbandry parameter.

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
How big is that enclosure?
Mines 30x30x30 and with way less clutter on the floor. And thats the absolut minimum I'd suggest for a single scorpion of that size.

I'd take the moss out from under his hide, place his hide flat on the ground with just enough space for him to squeeze under it.
Don't spray inside just moisten the substrate, they like their sub damp to the touch but not muddy.

I'll make some pictures of my enclosure in a moment to show you visually how I'd do it.
He should have some more floorspace for sure, you could take a much smaller water dish for starters to make more room.