1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpion noob with questions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Manduhyo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Manduhyo

Manduhyo Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hey guys, first timer here. So i asked for a bearded dragon for christmas and, bless her heart, my girlfriend got me a scorpion instead because it's "cooler" than a dragon.

I now have an arizona bark scorpion and i just want to make sure i take care of him(her?) correctly. I got him this past weekend and set him up in a 10 gal with sand, some things he can crawl on and a hide. I tried to give him a cricket to eat but he didn't want it. I have no idea when the last time he ate was. What do i do?

He also seems to have to dry spots? I'm not sure if that's normal but it looks kinda like when a sunburn starts to peel. And he doesn't seem to move much. He only stays in or right on top of his hide. Is that normal as well?

I'm also trying to figure out how to keep the humidity down. The temp is fine but the humidity is pretty high, about 70%.

Any and all suggestions and advice are appreciated. I've read through several threads here trying to figure everything out but i figured i should also post to get all these questions off my chest. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Important to have vertical bark as they spent a lot of time above ground. Some crevices and hiding spots too. Keep them in arid conditions with occasional misting. Exercise caution as that species can pack a nasty sting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Looks female. A 10 gal is a huge amount of space for once C. sculpturatus. Agreed with everything RTTB said on the care though. If you don't water for a while other than light misting things will dry out over time. They can take some humidity for a while without too much issue, but it's best to let it dry out.

The spots on the back might just be old frass that's peeling off. Centruroides don't tend to move around a whole lot and you got her pretty recently, so she's likely still settling in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Give it a water dish.

As others have said a 10 gallon tank is a huge amount of space for one Centruroides sculpturatus. You can set up a communal in that size Enclosure once you get the vertical bark all set up. Even if you just keep the one, vertically oriented bark is still a necessity and you will likely notice an increase in activity as it climbs up and among the bark.

A week without food is not much to be concerned about. They can go for much longer than that.

Also, your girlfriend is awesome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Manduhyo

Manduhyo Arachnopeon

Thanks for the info. I was hesitant on getting the 10 gal but a care sheet i read said it needed a tank that big. Maybe I'll get another scorp one day, when i feel more comfortable with my skills.

After questioning my gf a lil more, i found out that it hasn't eaten since before new years. Is that still ok?

And yes, my gf is pretty awesome. I must admit though, when she told me she got me a scorpion and what kind, i freaked out after googling it. It's labeled as the most dangerous scorpion in north america and only advanced owners should keep it as a pet. That definitely scared me. I love him now.

6. Manduhyo

Manduhyo Arachnopeon

How can you tell? I guess I'll need to change his name now

7. pannaking22

I admit I'm not completely sure that it's an adult, but males tend to be more angular with elongated tail segments. That can be seen even before they reach adulthood, but it's a bit more subtle. https://bugguide.net/node/view/96756/bgimage

You could fit quite a few in there and it would make for a good display. I keep my Centruroides in 32 oz deli cups with a piece of slanted cork board they can climb on, though I don't have any communal setups right now because I want to avoid cannibalism.

Still should be fine on food, it looks a little fat (though it could be gravid). You can try throwing food in this weekend and see what happens. If it doesn't take it after 24 hours or so remove the food.

Certainly the most dangerous in NA, but still easy for a non-expert to keep. Care itself isn't difficult, it's just making sure you're careful while doing maintenance. Know where the scorp is at, don't stick your hands in, etc. Centruroides tend to be on the skittish side anyway, so most disturbances will cause them to just hunker down or scoot quickly away.

8. TheScorpionMan

TheScorpionMan Arachnoknight

Texas
    I have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon each with 5 c. Sculpts in them. Would be cool for you to start a communual setup as stated earlier 10 gallon is huge for c. Sculpt. Idk where you read they need one but that's more like the giant desert hairy scorpion size (Hadrurus Arizonensis) either way good luck with the scorp and yes keep it dry. I have water dishes with little stones in them (to make sure the scorps don't fall in) and i fill them maybe twice a month.

9. Manduhyo

Manduhyo Arachnopeon

This is where i read about the 10 gal:
    http://www.scorpionpictureguide.com/scorpions/bark-scorpions-care/

Also, any advice on keeping it dry or less humid? I'm struggling with keeping it down. It's at 70% right now.

With the heating part, do you suggest an infared bulb or a ceramic heating one? Do i keep it on all day or only at certain times?

10. Manduhyo

Manduhyo Arachnopeon

Ok i tried getting a better angle of her. I hope she's just fat because i would have no idea what to do if she had babies haha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

It does have the most potent venom of the region and a sting would not be fun. But it's not going to cause life threatening symptoms, barring an allergy or some other circumstance.

They cannot climb glass, so as long as you keep the vertical bark below the reach of the lid and use tongs when poking around inside the enclosure there should be virtually a 0% chance of a sting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pannaking22

There's always a market for that species, so I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding someone who would take the lot of them.