Scorpion? Maybe?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Hey scorpion folks,

I just jumped over from the T side to get some input. I am completely ignorant regarding scorpion particulars, and aside from watching some videos, and trolling (rarely) this section of AB, I am scorpionly challenged. However, I am starting to entertain the thought of broadening my horizons. So, if I were to obtain one scorpion (I know, I know, just like T's, you can't have one), but hypothetically, what would you suggest as a hardy, large, relatively long lived specimen? I REALLY like large.

Thanks in advance.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hadogenes sp. Get huge, very mild mannered, and super easy to keep. The two species available are paucidens and troglodytes, though I think paucidens is quite a bit more common. It's a desert dweller if that matters. They can live for a really long time too.

Alternatively, you can get Heterometrus sp. Very large, rather defensive, also super easy to keep. Really easy to find too since they're commonly available at pet shops. They require high humidity. Not sure how long they can live though.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey scorpion folks,

I just jumped over from the T side to get some input. I am completely ignorant regarding scorpion particulars, and aside from watching some videos, and trolling (rarely) this section of AB, I am scorpionly challenged. However, I am starting to entertain the thought of broadening my horizons. So, if I were to obtain one scorpion (I know, I know, just like T's, you can't have one), but hypothetically, what would you suggest as a hardy, large, relatively long lived specimen? I REALLY like large.

Thanks in advance.
If you want the largest species native to the US, get an adult Hadrurus arizonensis

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
Does the general T rule that females live significantly longer than males apply to scorpions?

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does the general T rule that females live significantly longer than males apply to scorpions?
Hey i don't mean to barge in, but i don't believe that rule applies to scorpions. But yes H. Arizonensis are great scorpion pets. I used to have one and it was pretty cool to observe

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nope. Also, scorps have a set number of molts and both sexes have an ultimate molt.

If you get a Hadrurus, I'd stress getting an adult as it can be difficult to get them to molt in captivity.

Stenodactylus

Arachnosquire
Scorpions don't have a huge lifespan difference like tarantulas. For a big, hardy scorpion, what everyone said is true. Hadrurus are great desert species with mild venom. Hadogenes are huge, and pretty shy. Heterometrus are generally pissy, but very hardy and very large. Gotta keep them warm and wet. Pandins, while not as common now, are fantastic: huge, docile, weak venom.

Another that is a fun, large, desert genus from the US is Smeringurus. Mesaensis are somewhat small, but vachoni vachoni, vachoni immanis, and aridus are all quite large.

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
Well, finally pulled the trigger on the first scorpion. I have a 4th instar H. Troglodyte on the way. Any suggestions regarding the species, particularly age appropriate, are always welcome. Thanks for the input above, it was quite helpful in a final decision.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Keep it warm and dry with some flat pieces of rock or bark to hide under. Make sure it has a water dish you fill once every couple weeks. Other than that, it may or may not be a good eater, depending on how it's feeling. Fasting is common in that genus, but not really something to worry about.