Scorpion killed by a "Camel Spider"

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey, yea it really is all about how both specimens are orientated, generally scorps are hard enough to prevent most attacks, but soliphugids (spelling?) have "the largest jaws in the animal kingdom" in ratio with their bodies so im not surprised an AA got pwned :O
but a perfectly alert scorp would definately give it a run for its life, or both would die.

i once put a small female e.flavicaudis with a "woodloose spider" dysidera or something, and the scorp was scared of it, the little spider kept biting the scorps claw (failing to peirce) and the scorp would run away backwards.
:p
camel spiders are ugly anyway!

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For all you scorp fans...

yummy!

Looks like a good sized solfugid too. Still I honestly believe a good sized Solfugid is the ultimate invert predator. Bird eating T's lay in wait in a bird's nest to prey. Solfugids will run birds down.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Highlander said:
Arn't there some species of wind scorpion that lives in the southwest of the United States and if so couldn't they be a prey or predator of Desert Hairy scorpions/Hadruras arizonensis?
Yes, there are species of them which are native to the SW USA, but the US species also do not grow as large as the species from the middle-eastern countries, so do keep that in mind (most I've seen on dealer lists in the US were no more than 2 inches, so they would most likely be a prey item for a Hadrurus hunting from it's burrow and it could go the other way if the scorp was in the open). I still want to locate the person who did the camera work in the video to find the possible species of scorp involved, as well as have a little more info on the camel spider I had because his jaws were much more elongated than the one in the video and I've always been quite curious about that. EDIT: There's one site I have located with some US camel spiders on their current price list. If you care to know, PM me or search for yourself.

adios,
edw.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
they are all over the place in Carlsbad, but as has been noted, are much smaller than the one in the video. They run super fast, and I have heard that getting bitten by one is horrible. They have razor sharp jaws, and are not afraid to use them :)
They are also very short lived in captivity, but are alot of fun to observe, as they are much more active then scorps or tarantulas. We may bring one home with us this year, for something different!

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
they are all over the place in Carlsbad, but as has been noted, are much smaller than the one in the video. They run super fast, and I have heard that getting bitten by one is horrible. They have razor sharp jaws, and are not afraid to use them :)
They are also very short lived in captivity, but are alot of fun to observe, as they are much more active then scorps or tarantulas. We may bring one home with us this year, for something different!
Yeah, I had a hell of a time catching the one I found in Calfornia. It sure could eat!

Chris14

Arachnopeon
When I was at the Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, I found of of them running around in the tour building. It cornered it, and I found a dead moth nearby. I droped the moth infront of it and WACK the thing grabbed the moth(a little smaller than it) and devoured it in about a minute. I then chased it into a bad and released it outside. They are pretty cool little dudes.

Good vid! Thanks for the link!

C.

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, I translated that page on Google and still barely understand it.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
same- buthid of some sort. i think it was in north africa, and it was described as a yellow scorp.
there is a pick there, but ive no idea what spp it is

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While looks can be decieving, the first scorpion pictured appears to be of the Centruroides genus. Without calling a relative to properly translate the info for me, I'll make an assumption that the circumstances of this test were not stated as to whether the scorps were at their own burrow or whether it was from the camel spider's burrow, or even so much as which arachnid was actually attacking the other. I'd have to say that if the camel spider was indeed successful with all or the vast majority of attempts, it was most likely just outside the camel spider's burrow, in the open, for the attack to the raised tail of the Buthids. If it were from the scorp's burrow, I don't think the outcome would even be somewhat similar, as it was shown by the pic of the scorp eating the camel spider, that the scorp can have a meal as well. We all know that the scorpion's defense can be penetrated in the open by something attacking it, but I'm personally curious as to whether it can be so easily penetrated while the scorpion is on the offensive end, or in it's own keep (the scorps attack preference is from inside their keep's edge, dragging their prey completely inside, while camel spiders attack in the open, dragging their prey to the edge of their keep, which really makes them two types of attackers, both having their own best method used). I've personally never seen success with defending from a camel spider's or scorpion's attack for anything of similar size. Has anyone here ever seen the occurance of an attacking camel spider or scorp's loss? Camel spiders are fast and great predators in the open, and scorps are great predators in their keeps (so they don't have to be fast). I think I'll have a friend send me a few camel spiders to work with. :?

adios,
edw.

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey edw
he first saw the scorp being eaten in the open, in N africa, then, intruigued by the fight, put the camel spider and scorp together (different specimens) in an empty bottle, the camel spider won every time,

but im wondering how the camel spider bites the scorps telson off while its in defence posture, where the telson should be safe from harm, considering the solifugids jaws are only effective vertically (?)
i want one too :p

i dont think the scorp used was in defence posture though, its a question of who strikes first...

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mostly when i play with my scorps in any way, like move stuff around or bother them by accident, they kinda wrap themselves up in a semi fetal position, anyone know what im talking about?

so if this guy just catches a scorp and drops it into a bottle, its not gonna be in a fighting mood, which would limit everything to the camel spiders favor

id like to drop a camel spider in my H. Spinifers tank and see what happens when shes hungry ;P

i saw a camel spider at regals, nasty little buggers, BUT, you can see they have weaknesses, and i think a large enough scorp can take them out, and an H. Spinifer is nasty enough and big enough, a bark scorpion or an Androctonus, thats a little different, maybe an A. Australis of a good size or a death stalker of good size can do it

it all really depends on how the scorp is going to react, sometimes they retreat and sometimes they fight, ive never once seen a camel spider retreat :confused:

i think my 7" H. Spinifer would crush it and have it for lunch personally, cause shes a mean bitch

Wolvie

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
George Carnell said:
hey edw
he first saw the scorp being eaten in the open, in N africa, then, intruigued by the fight, put the camel spider and scorp together (different specimens) in an empty bottle, the camel spider won every time,

but im wondering how the camel spider bites the scorps telson off while its in defence posture, where the telson should be safe from harm, considering the solifugids jaws are only effective vertically (?)
i want one too :p

i dont think the scorp used was in defence posture though, its a question of who strikes first...
hmmm...let's piss the scorp off by tossing it into a container and stressing it out so it will not attack first and see which wins. *lol* What a gratifying scientific study that is. Sounds to me like they don't know much about scorpions or like them in any way. Camel spiders, on the other hand, can be tossed into an enclosure and within a minute, they're ready to eat (mine was this way every time I removed it for any reason, which was usually cleaning up after it because it mostly did nothing but cut crix in half and eat whichever end stayed in it's mouth). As for your desire to acquire one, I took the liberty of locating a US species on a dealer list, so if you're interested for a little shy of $20 ea, min order of $40 and about $20 shipping, you can send me an E-mail or PM me, as well as anyone else who may be interested.

adios,
edw.

wow! a pair of 512mb DDRs is sooooo much better than a pair of 128mb DDRs *lol* {D

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hehe at least edw and george see the flaw in the scientific nature of that study

Wolvie

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cant find the video

can you tell me another place to find the video as it doesn't work for me.
I have one of these things on order and really want to see it eat.
Thanks.
Mike