Scorpion ID Please-Southwest UT

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BE22E950-AF25-406B-912E-11DEF3E0596D.jpeg Hello all,
I was on a herping excursion with my wife this past week, and we happened upon a tiny scorpion (probably less than 1/2 inch total length) while flipping rocks. I understand that there are about 8 scorpion species native to the state, but not all occur in the extreme southwest corner of the state, which is where we were. (We were along the banks of the Virgin River in The town of Washington, Utah.) Any guidance on which species this might be?
Paruroctonus becki?

Last edited:

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say Serradigitus wupatkiensis. They are known from Utah and into NV and AZ. It could be a juvenile but Serradigitus sp are all fairly small. The easiest way to tell if it is Serradigitus or not, is to look at the extreme endpoint of the chelal fingers to see if there is a 'spike' or 'tooth'.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
View attachment 275463 Hello all,
I was on a herping excursion with my wife this past week, and we happened upon a tiny scorpion (probably less than 1/2 inch total length) while flipping rocks. I understand that there are about 8 scorpion species native to the state, but not all occur in the extreme southwest corner of the state, which is where we were. This was in the town of Washington, near St. George, Utah. Any guidance on which species this might be?
Paruroctonus becki?
I would say Serradigitus wupatkiensis. They are known from Utah and into NV and AZ. It could be a juvenile but Serradigitus sp are all fairly small. The easiest way to tell if it is Serradigitus or not, is to look at the extreme endpoint of the chelal fingers to see if there is a 'spike' or 'tooth'.
Thank you! I wish I had a better picture of the chelae for confirmation, but that makes a lot of sense, and it sure looks a lot like the S. wupatkiensis on Bugguide.net. Thank you!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
species-level ID is impossible without magnified photos of trichobothria and carinae. or other small features.

Bug Bane

Arachnopeon
There needs to be an ID section for this website, a place where you can just go and say “What is this?” and people say ”It’s this. Boom.”

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I agree with the ID. I’ve found multiple S. wupatkiensis in that same area. They seem to be really common around there.

THR

Arachnosquire
As for junvenile SW, I only have this pic, from TSF.
Seems that they have a bright stripe in the middle of their mesosoma.
fc24b3dfb48f8c5470aae1b336292df5e1fe7fa3.jpg