1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpion hunting in Southern Utah

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Desert scorps, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Advertisement
    I will be heading down to the Saint George area in two weeks and I will be scorpion hunting about 15 miles South of Saint George in the desert. My main target is Hadrurus arizonensis but Im not sure they are going to be active and instead just barely "waking up" from their hibernation. Do you think I have a chance at finding at least one? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Can't help you much since I live in Illinois, but if you flip some rocks as you go you might get lucky! If they've had several warm days already the scorps should be starting to come out.

3. Thanks for the reply. It has been in the upper 70's and lower 80's the past few weeks and the next few weeks look the same so I think my chances are on the better side.

4. pannaking22

Agreed! Temps like that are sure to bring out all the spring inverts and I'm sure even the summer ones will be waking up.

5. Well, I did not have any luck on finding many scorpions at all. I did find two scorps which I am certain they are Serradigitus wupatkiensis. I also found 6 Scolopendra polymorpha. The temps were pretty low so I knew I wouldn't find much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pannaking22

Still a nice find with the Serradigitus!

7. Definitely! I am very satisfied with what I found down there. I saw more but they retreated into their burrows before I even had a chance to get them.

8. Daniel137

Daniel137 Arachnopeon

Have you had any luck in Utah other than in saint george? I'm in the utah area and was looking to get one around here. Is it hopeless?

9. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    hadrurus are active already, everything is.

10. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Now is the prime time of year.

11. I forgot about this thread since it's been so long haha. And that's good to hear, considering I am taking a collecting trip down near Las Vegas this weekend, and the temps look promising. Hoping to get my hands on at least one Hadrurus arizonensis/spadix and a few Centruroides sculpturatus while I'm down there.

12. I've had luck in a few spots, yes. Shoot me a PM if you want some more info! :)