Scorpion Enclosure Setups

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks. i just got back from my local reptile store and bought a pair of hardruris arizonensis. they're about the size of a nickel. they're both in deli cups and i'm wondering what i should do. any info would be appreciated. they eat pin heads for now too.

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fine with me, i dont care. i didnt mean to make u mad or nothin. i was just saying though. i'm gonna try and get my enclosure posted up in here.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, why is it that everyone raises the substrate to one side of the tank?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Nick,

It is an old aquarium trick. Aquariums look neater if you slopet he substrate. I guess everyone picked up on it and the result is sloped substrate. I am, of course, one of the idiots who leaves his substrate flat and ends up with a less visualy appealing enclosure.

Cheers,
Dave

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
It is an old aquarium trick. Aquariums look neater if you slopet he substrate.
Cheers,
Dave
Another thing when you slope the substrare it does increase the land area available to the inhabitant.

Wayne H

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Another
What type of scorpion are you using in this enclosure? And how come you have the layer of sand on top of the peat, or whatever it is?

Oh, and I like that log you have in your first enclosure. Its pretty cool looking.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's an updated picture of my H.arizonensis' enclosure. It has been quite busy over the last couple of weeks, so I figure I'd post a new picture.

Attachments

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's one of my Hottentotta trilineatus' enclosure. I keep 2 in here, but one is hidden at the moment. I am also planning on seperating them soon, becuase I believe that the one in the picture is going to give birth soon.

Its nothing special, but hey.

Also, I have a question. Does anyone think I should give them a couple of inches of sand incase they decide to burrow? They seem fine the way I have it now. Both eat great and they dont seem stressed out.

Attachments

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by neveragain
What type of scorpion are you using in this enclosure? And how come you have the layer of sand on top of the peat, or whatever it is?

Oh, and I like that log you have in your first enclosure. Its pretty cool looking.
Yeah, I added a little too much peat to the mixture...but that's ok, it'll just mean a stable burrow with good humidity ;)

The dry sand on top was to offset the fact that I fudged up the sand-to-peat ratio. Oh well, better luck next time.

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Nick,

I have given Hottentotta some space to dig in the past and they have never used it, prefering to hide under available objects. they don't even seem keen on building scrapes.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Same with my Hottentotta...at best mine have dug their scrape slightly deeper...though I'm not totally sure on this. They spend all the daylight hours under objects I placed in their enclosure...not even major shelter items either.

John
];')

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
On a slightly related note, my "desert something" (still speculating) isn't burrowing or even making a scrape. It spends nearly all of its time under that piece of wood in the picture. As a matter of fact, if you squint you can see it in the pic...

Shouldn't an obligate burrower burrow almost immediately? It's been days, and it just sits contently under the wood.

N.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Not necessarily,

Remember the reason they burrow is not only instinct...it is also to help regulate their body temperature and the humidity of their environment as well as escape light. If the scorpion is comfortable with the first two conditions it may find that hiding under something is just as good as digging a burrow...At least that's my take on scorpion behavior in this instance.

John
];')