Scorpion concern pet owner

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
Hello my boyfriend and I bought our scorpions back in june 2017 I went to check on them and mine is laying this way we never mess with them not unless to clean the cage or to spray it down or to see if they are alive mine is laying flat we cannot find anything on molting or having one dead we took it out and moved kinda higher our other scorpion was protecting it though. Anything would be a great deal for us to know also boyfriend said was still soft and squishy to touch not hard if that helps any. Photo also added

Attachments

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I believe that laying with the tail flat is not a good sign, usually it means they are on the way out. I'm pretty sure that is the case for Asian forest scorpions, anyway, which that one appears to be.
Somebody else will come along and either confirm or refute my opinion.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't understand your question, but that animal doesn't look healthy (looks like its close to passing, IMO)... Sorry... What are the temps and humidity in cage? When did that animal feed last?

Best Regards,

Robert

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
I believe that laying with the tail flat is not a good sign, usually it means they are on the way out. I'm pretty sure that is the case for Asian forest scorpions, anyway, which that one appears to be.
Somebody else will come along and either confirm or refute my opinion.
Ok I seen that you have to wait 12 hours if they do molt my first thought was it died on us our scorpions eat night crawlers we just don’t know look like a waiting game I told my boyfriend if by tomorrow night nothing or Tuesday then we know it probably died

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
Don't understand your question, but that animal doesn't look healthy (looks like its close to passing, IMO)... Sorry... What are the temps and humidity in cage? When did that animal feed last?

Best Regards,

Robert
Hello last ate at 03-11-2018 1am we have the heat at 80 the other one is still alive so this is new to us

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I would say it has passed already. claws are curled in front of its face and tail is completely flat with telson pointing straight also
I've seen this pose a few times before and hate seeing it every time so hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think I am

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
I would say it has passed already. claws are curled in front of its face and tail is completely flat with telson pointing straight also
I've seen this pose a few times before and hate seeing it every time so hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think I am
Thanks that’s what i was thinking but we will wait and see would they still be soft and no movement

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Thanks that’s what i was thinking but we will wait and see would they still be soft and no movement
Yes once they have passed they will be on the soft side and if it truly has passed it will really start to smell nasty soon after also.
If you notice a strong smell 2moro morning id remove it quickly
So sorry to hear though if this is the case

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
Yes once they have passed they will be on the soft side and if it truly has passed it will really start to smell nasty soon after also.
Ok thank you this all happened today last night it was still alive and when i got in from work today and when we were watching a movie it was still alive that’s why the boyfriend and I thought it was odd

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
So far no strong smell what would it smell like? And will do if there is

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
So far no strong smell what would it smell like? And will do if there is
Hard to explain how bad it will stink as most times i catch any of my dead 1's within a day or 2 after they died but the few times 1 was dead more than a couple days ..... the smell was awful
Is it still in the same postion as the pictures you posted ????

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's your enclosure setup like? Make sure you have at least 4-6" of moist substrate suitable for burrowing. And are those cotton balls in the water? If so, take them out.

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
Hard to explain how bad it will stink as most times i catch any of my dead 1's within a day or 2 after they died but the few times 1 was dead more than a couple days ..... the smell was awful
Is it still in the same postion as the pictures you posted ????
Yes and still no smell we are taking it out tonight hopefully next month I can order a few more to put in with our one and I’ve been told to use cotton balls for it where they don’t drown

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
What's your enclosure setup like? Make sure you have at least 4-6" of moist substrate suitable for burrowing. And are those cotton balls in the water? If so, take them out.
Also yes we were told to use cotton balls so they don’t drown

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, switch that substrate to moist coco fiber You want at least 4-6" of it so they can burrow.

Never use cotton balls, sponges, or anything else like that in the water. All they do is serve as breeding grounds for bacteria. Heterometrus species will sometimes completely submerge themselves in water; they would have to be in very poor health already to drown in a water dish.

Jamie flynn

Arachnopeon
Alright, switch that substrate to moist coco fiber You want at least 4-6" of it so they can burrow.

Never use cotton balls, sponges, or anything else like that in the water. All they do is serve as breeding grounds for bacteria. Heterometrus species will sometimes completely submerge themselves in water; they would have to be in very poor health already to drown in a water dish.
We are using and doing everything what others have done with there scorpions we are cleaning everything out tomorrow

Last edited: