Scorpion completely buried

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

New time joiner to the world of pet scorpions and i have a question..

My scorpion buried herself maybe 2 days ago and was gone since.. i got worried and simply lifted her hide/searched the enclosure and couldn't find her..

I was beginning to get worried thinking she had escaped so i dug a bit deeper and found her completely buried right at the bottom of the enclosure under about 4-5cm of substrate with no signs of a burrow, literally buried and covered.

When i coaxed her out it was like she had been in a deep sleep and i had woken her..

Should i be worried? I Just struggled to believe she could dig her way back out..

I Will mention that prior to her hiding away she had eaten 2 decent sized woodie roaches, not sure if this has any relevance?

Thanks in advance.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Pictures of enclosures. And what scorpion is it? Doesnt sound like a worry

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Flinders ranges scorpion (Australian species) and pictures attached.
The enclosure has a small heat mat underneath as we get cold winter night's (inside the house can get to 10 odd degrees) & it's set up for 4 scorps as i have another 3 different breeds on their way.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Flinders ranges scorpion (Australian species) and pictures attached.
The enclosure has a small heat mat underneath as we get cold winter night's (inside the house can get to 10 odd degrees) & it's set up for 4 scorps as i have another 3 different breeds on their way.
1. Move the heat mat to the back or side. The bottom is a very bad place for it since they burrow down to escape heat instinctively and it can be a real problem with the heat mat on the bottom.
2. I would not recommend a split enclosure.
3. They're not breeds. They're species.

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Not a problem, heat mat has been moved..
My bad, it was late and i was tired so forgive my literature lacking re species/breed.
What complications could you see arising from a split enclosure if you don't mind me asking? I designed it to ensure there were no gaps between the 4 areas, the material is black that separates them (i didn't think vision was a strong attribute for scorpions anyway) but i did that so they could not see each other..
Just interested in knowing pro's and con's on split enclosures..

Ill also add they have a space of approx. 25cmx25cmx30cm.

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Oh and regarding the heat mat.. it's placement sits in the dead centre of the enclosure, it's only about 10cmx10cm in size so it encroaches by a couple of centimetres into each enclosure from the corner.
Do you believe that would suffice?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Theres no problem with the split enclosure setup as long as you believe it to be full proof. They are very tricky in escaping any gaps. The heat mat is generaly "shy'd" away from on the bottum most people use Heating lamps or bulbs. That can be turned off and on to regulate temperature drops etc...

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
I'd like to think it's quite escape proof!
Iv removed the heat mat and will see how they go without it.. most of my species originate from my area so I'd think they are quite well adapted to deal with the weather here.. Not only that but being inside the temperature is more manageable then outside!

I'm assuming that burrowing deep/could i say hibernating? Is something they do from time to time?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Yes
I'd like to think it's quite escape proof!
Iv removed the heat mat and will see how they go without it.. most of my species originate from my area so I'd think they are quite well adapted to deal with the weather here.. Not only that but being inside the temperature is more manageable then outside!

I'm assuming that burrowing deep/could i say hibernating? Is something they do from time to time?
Yes burrowing is completely normalm its their way of regulation body tempurature and making a completely dark safe place

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Too easy, ill Keep an eye on her but I'm sure I'm just being overly cautious.
Thank you!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Its normal im the same way when my scorps burrow. Just keep an eye out and make sure their burrows hold and their not caved in lol.... however there will be times where the scorp will close off its burrow so dont freak out l, try and distinguish the difference.

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
I get what you mean man.. last time i freaked i searched for her.. found her and caved in the perfect cave she built!
Felt pretty bad but she seems to just make another without a hassle.

Received 3 more little ones today.. here's photos of the 4.. wish i got a better shot of the isometrus Vescus but it nailed a roach and was occupied.

Quite addicting buying them hey.. already know the next 4 I'm keen on getting.
Lucky my supplier has a broad reach when it comes to finding them.

Attachments

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Great collection. I use regular red 60 watt bulb over one side of the ten gallon tanks I use, its over kill for the size but I like it and I am sure they do also. I removed my heat pads, because I don't trust them, I have seen them burn before, when a bulb quits, it just burns out, much safer for everyone.

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
I may need to look into doing something similar, mind you my enclosure set up wouldn't work with the light being on one portion of the tank as they are separated into 4 compartments..
Ill see how they go now, the temperature is relatively mild at the moment and since it's indoors they should manage.
The breeder i got them from has them in similar weather, with no form of artificial heat and seemingly raised them all fine so far!
Ill try to get better pictures soon, one is exceptionally quick though.. never seen one run as fast as this one, surprising how big the difference is in their behaviours and movements etc!

Quite jealous of you guys in the states though, you have so much more access to really cool looking species!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Androctonus are my fav. Fat tails just do it for me... specifically Australis Hector Morph. Heres one if my 4i Screenshot_20170513-235213.png

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Looks mean man, love it.
Yeah I'm a fan of the fat tails too.. ours unfortunately dont get as large tailed as that though

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
None of the scorps i have are home to the states for the most part, they're all from africa lol i live in California

Vandy13

Arachnopeon
Wish we could import.. how big is the pictured one you just sent?
Looks decent.