Scorp not looking too good

Marcia

Arachnopeon
My emp last fed about 2 weeks ago, she managed 2 crickets.

Although yesterday, she's barely moving, not very responsive and her mouthparts seem to be protruding more than they should be?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360522924.986614.jpg

She's moved around a bit more today, from the heatmat to a cooler spot but she's just not the same.

Any ideas what may be the problem if there is one?

Sent from my iPhone whilst battling zombies

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Maybe she's thirsty. Do you have a water dish in there for her? Also, she may be fasting as Pandinus imperator is known for doing that. Lastly, it could be old age is getting to her as the telson seems to show adult colors. How long have you had her?

Marcia

Arachnopeon
She's definitely not an adult. Her telson is dark yellow in colour not red. The picture is a bit dark, I didn't want to stress her put by using the flash on my phone. She was sold to me as a late CB11 sub adult I believe.

There's always a shallow bowl of water in the tank 24/7. Changed everyday.

snippy

Arachnobaron
She might as well be molting!

Leave her alone, do not stress her or poke her, or you might do the damage.

Regards
Finn

Last edited:

Marcia

Arachnopeon
Ok will do :) thanks.

Hopefully it is a moult

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
She might as well be molting!

Leave her alone, do not stress her or poke her, or you might do the damage.

Regards
Finn
+1 That's the only thing it could be doing then, although it does seem a little slim.

Marcia

Arachnopeon
That's what I thought. I did have an emp who got really fat looking before a moult.

I've still got a bad feeling about this but keeping my fingers crossed

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
She should be fine as long as you don't disturb her. If she doesn't have the energy, why would she do it? She knows what she's doing.

Also, now that I look at the picture again, and it may just be me, but it looks like you caught her in the very, and I mean very beginning of the process.

Marcia

Arachnopeon
Do they barely move and seem a bit lifeless right before they start the process of molting?

I've witnessed the end of a molt but not the beginning.

snippy

Arachnobaron
Yes, they do. But if it really was a molt, she should be through by now.

Regards
Finn

Marcia

Arachnopeon
So it's probably not looking very good then

snippy

Arachnobaron
Might be so. Wait a day more and if there is no movement until then, you have your answer.

Regards
Finn

Marcia

Arachnopeon
I think she's died now, no movement whatsoever :(

I'm just trying to think of anything I may have screwed up on. Day temperature was about 85F. Night temps about 75F. Humidity at a constant 75-80%.

As I said, she fed well until about 2 weeks ago, and only started looking sluggish and not right 2 nights ago.

The only change I did was to clean her tank out Saturday morning. I did use a new disinfectant so I don't know if that did it. She was fine beforehand.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
I think she's died now, no movement whatsoever :(

I'm just trying to think of anything I may have screwed up on. Day temperature was about 85F. Night temps about 75F. Humidity at a constant 75-80%.

As I said, she fed well until about 2 weeks ago, and only started looking sluggish and not right 2 nights ago.

The only change I did was to clean her tank out Saturday morning. I did use a new disinfectant so I don't know if that did it. She was fine beforehand.

It may have been the disinfectant. Sorry for your loss. I had my crayfish die when I was ten and I cried like the whole day. Don't do that. Give her a proper burial, and see if the disinfectant was the cause. If so, throw it out, and try again, or get another species.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Sorry for your loss, it's never nice when things like this happen, I just lost my P,cavimanus nearly an hour ago, now am very sad, I can't put my finger on what happened suddenly got sluggish and two legs wouldn't move so left it alone, thinking maybe dehydrated put her in ICU but didn't work and checking today's barely moved and tonight dead.

Marcia

Arachnopeon
Hold up. I just went to remove her to bury her and she started wriggling one side of her body!

I still think she might be dying but she's putting up a fight

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Put her in an ICU so if it's a bad molt/dying/ill it can have a better chance. If you don't know how to make one do a quick search.

---------- Post added 02-11-2013 at 04:24 PM ----------

Sorry for your loss, it's never nice when things like this happen, I just lost my P,cavimanus nearly an hour ago, now am very sad, I can't put my finger on what happened suddenly got sluggish and two legs wouldn't move so left it alone, thinking maybe dehydrated put her in ICU but didn't work and checking today's barely moved and tonight dead.
Sorry for your loss.

snippy

Arachnobaron
What's with all that ICU stuff? What is that supposed to accomplish anyway? What would the beneficial factor be?

The best you can do in my opinion is nothing at all, minimize stress and hope for the best.

Regards
Finn

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
What's with all that ICU stuff? What is that supposed to accomplish anyway? What would the beneficial factor be?

The best you can do in my opinion is nothing at all, minimize stress and hope for the best.

Regards
Finn
In an ICU the humidity is higher, so if she really is having a hard time molting, it should prevent the skin from drying out and hardening, although this would also be the case in a normal enclosure.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You live and learn. Dont get discouraged.

I've lost probably over 30 scorpions over the years. Mostly due to old age.

It sucks when you lose scorpions that you grew since 1i all the way up too adulthood for like 4 years from a bad molt. My favorite massive a. Mauritanicus.