scorp ID, need a male!!!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This thing has grown on me. ...Yip, missing a leg. Well, I still don't know the species name of this scorp. There were some opinions in another thread about it, but nothing 100%. I didn't think it would molt again, I thought it was mature. But I picked up the flat rock and ..."what the diddly!", it molted again! It still has a little darkening to do I guess but it's not a dark scorp. This thing is crazy defensive!, with big impressive pinchers. If I pick it up, it will reach down and pinch my palm and even look like it's reaching over with it's tail, pretty crazy. I want to get babies from it real bad to keep them going in the hobby over here in the US. I'm guessing it's a female, I don't have a male to compare it to. If anybody has a male of this species, please, send it over and I will send the male back and hopefully half the babies later. So does anybody know the species name/ID? It's a Pandinus sp from Kenya as far as I know. P. gregoryi?, ...I don't know, granulation on the chela is kinda lacking but, who knows... what do you think?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
to be honest it looks a lot more like an opistothalmus spp. more than it does a Pandinus spp. as to which one i couldnt say for sure. take another pic when it hardens up, but somehow it just seems very unlikey that it is a pandinus to me.

John

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
good way to tell is examine the chelicerae from the molt if there are stridulatory pads on the insides of the chelicerae then it is almost certainly opistothalmus. but from the pics the median eyes seem too far back on the carapace, the body seems too dorsoventrally compressed, the metasoma underdeveloped, and the chelae shaped too oddly to be a pandinus but im no expert

John

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I brought up the same stuff when I bought it a year or two ago. The very knowledgeable person said that the two eyes on the top are further back on Opistothalmus than in this specimen. No stridulating I've experienced. I'm still leaning towards Pandinus but anything goes with this thing, weak metasoma but also with Pandinus, this thing is a cruncher like Pandinus emp. Thanks for any input! OK, I'm going to take a look at the chelicerae from the molt, I think I still have it somewhere but I did pick it up and put it somewhere:?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just took a pic, just fine hairs, no audible mechanism that I can see. I'm still convinced it's a Pandinus, and a nice one at that, so I need a male asap! There were a few bought in the Austin area ....anybody? Thanks for the info Pandinus, let me know if you find out anything. If you locate a male for this one, I will send you some babies if I get them. I really need to find a mate for her.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK it dug a hole under it's flat rock, pretty hardened up I suppose. I also made a short vid showing defensive behavior that might be characteristic of the species, so that might help. Any ID ideas? anybody?

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it's a pandinus.
I remember a while back someone posted pictures of what looked like a lighter shade of an emperor.
Like a brown emperor.
And people where saying it was albino(Not technically since bugs can't be albinos)

But yeah.

Try to search for that thread hold up

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah thanks, I remember that thread, wonder what that thing looks like now. Well the store I bought this one from had a few of these, all the same. I regret buying a pair now because I don't know when or if more will get here. The P. viatoris in the pic came from Tanzania which is right next to Kenya, and Kenya is where this scorp was caught, just don't know for sure about the ID.