Scorp cage knocked over...damn cat

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Today I had set down the cage for the P. boreus scorplings on the floor, while I gathered crickets to start feeding them. Well, the cat suddenly decided the little kritter keeper would make a nice launching pad. He toppled the thing over, some sand spilled out, and I quickly picked up the cage and looked around for any escapees as they can fit through the holes in the lid. Well, quite a few were already on the surface of the substrate, and I managed to fish out a few that were buried under the substrate. Far as I can tell, there's approximately 10-15 alive and well on the surface. The others might be in hidden spots or buried under the substrate. The substrate I used is a pretty deep layer of orange Vita Sand. What I want to know is this, will the buried scorps be able to dig their way out? Should I bother trying to fish more out, in case all the buried ones are going to be dead anyways?

Bry

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't have an answer to your question, but I can relate to the cat thing. My first 2 Ts were murdered by our cat. The cat's dead, so my inverts are safe now, but it was still a bit upsetting. I was only like 10...

N.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you have extremely fine sand, you can try taking one of those small green fish nets and 'filtering' them out. If they are larger grains, you could try a pooper scooper or something, but I imagine that the scorps would fall through that.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Bry,

If you have any screen lids to your snake tanks you could use one of them to sift through the sand for the scorps.

I have some window screening lying around the house if worse comes to worse.

John
];')

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cats are evil when it come to these things.....Poor hadrurus:mad:

Mat

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I went ahead and used a paint brush and brushed the substrrate away. I only found 5 underneath the substrate, and all are alive and well. There were about 20 others already inside the clay pots. Every one of them is alive and well. It was a close call, and a lucky one at that.

The snake cage lid screens would have been a good idea, but they wouldn't be able to keep the babies from falling through. I'll keep that idea in mind.

Bry

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow Bry! Glad to hear of the happy ending. Hope your cat isn't beating himself up too bad over the ordeal. ;) I'm sure he's sorry.
BEst of luck with the little scorplings dude.

See ya

Atrax

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is a perfect example of why I don't let the cat into the basement (actually, it's because I don't need a cat who is suffering from the sting of 34 L. quinquestriatus at the same time because I had removed the hood for a feeding [not the cat as food by intention]).

adios,
edw.

Glad to hear everything turned out okay.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ooo.....quinquestraitus. Deathstalkers......wow.....id never keep one of those. Where did you get it?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I forget where I purchased them, but thirty something of them are young (.5 inches and were born a couple months back [I suppose it was that long ago]) and I keep a few adults.

adios,
edw.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bry,
:(
Sorry about your scorplings..I'm hoping for a good outcome on all.
Peace,
Gillian
)0(

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Quick update:

I gave all the baby stingbutts their first meal the other day. They all seem to be doing well. A few grabbed a cricket after a few minutes. By the next day, all the crickets were gone.

Bry