Scolopendra viridis help.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
I am about to be receiving a Scolopendra viridis from bugsincyberspace.com and I need some help on care requirements. I already own a vinegaroon and I am wondering if it has similar care. This is my first centipede.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I keep mine in a 32 oz sized deli cup, but you can use something larger. Give it a water dish, something to hide under like cork bark and around 3 inches of semi moist substrate. The substrate can be a mix of coco fiber and sand. Is your viridis the western or eastern variety?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The most important thing is to provide a (really) no escape enclosure, because 'pedes are the absolute ultimate masters when it comes to that.

Second, my advice is to put, in the set up, a lot of stuff... fake leaves, pieces of cork bark (if not available, other wood is fine as well), little stones etc because 'pedes loves to hide and to hunt covered by that.

Keep part of the substrate slightly moist, not wet, add a water dish and you're fine. They are amazing inverts to keep.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
I keep mine in a 32 oz sized deli cup, but you can use something larger. Give it a water dish, something to hide under like cork bark and around 3 inches of semi moist substrate. The substrate can be a mix of coco fiber and sand. Is your viridis the western or eastern variety?
I was wondering if that enclosure works for full grown pedes?

basement pets

Arachnosquire
The most important thing is to provide a (really) no escape enclosure, because 'pedes are the absolute ultimate masters when it comes to that.

Second, my advice is to put, in the set up, a lot of stuff... fake leaves, pieces of cork bark (if not available, other wood is fine as well), little stones etc because 'pedes loves to hide and to hunt covered by that.

Keep part of the substrate slightly moist, not wet, add a water dish and you're fine. They are amazing inverts to keep.

How do you make your centipede enclosures really secure? My parents have the same worry that it will escape.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Use something with a lid that locks. Otherwise, you can place something like a book on top. They're honestly nowhere near as difficult as people make them out to be.