Scolopendra viridicornis?

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
Hello, I was curious to know what is the difference between S. viridicornis and Scolopendra Sp. "robusta".

NYAN

Arachnoking
South American giant taxonomy is very messed up. The rubusta we have are probably galapagoensis, and galapagoensis aren’t even galapagoensis. Viridicornis is a different species, but I don’t think there’s any real ones in the hobby. Sometimes ‘robusta’ is labeled as viridicornis.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
To play it safe, most just refer to the varieties as Scolopendra sp.
Basically the centipede version of political correctness.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I see, so do they look much different in general? This is more to satisfy my personal curiosity.
The Scolopendra sp. being sold as “virdicornis” is pretty much the same as what’s being sold as “robusta”. They’re both gigantea imo. But anyways, both are dark orange in color, with yellow legs. They both get very large as well. True virdicornis have very fat and stubby terminal legs, in case you’re curious :)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Here are some photos, if it helps....
1st: What’s being sold as S. robusta
2nd: What’s being sold as S. virdicornis
3rd: TRUE virdicornis (Note the short, stubby terminal legs)

- (Disclaimer) I do not own any of these images

Attachments

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
@Terrena Laxamentum If you have IG, the_centipede_whisperer is a god of the centipede hobby. He’s very polite and knowledgeable, so if you can get in touch with him, he’d be more than willing to help you out. And of course, everyone else here on AB is here to do just that.

Last edited:

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I follow him and a few others. I'm always in the search for that type of stuff, so it is very helpful.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Here are some photos, if it helps....
1st: What’s being sold as S. robusta
2nd: What’s being sold as S. virdicornis
3rd: TRUE virdicornis (Note the short, stubby terminal legs)

- (Disclaimer) I do not own any of these images
The "viridicornis" is mine. I have a thread on here with more pics of her. I know she's not a true viridicornis. I just wanted a "Peruvian giant centipede" and got 1. So I'm happy.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
The "viridicornis" is mine. I have a thread on here with more pics of her. I know she's not a true viridicornis. I just wanted a "Peruvian giant centipede" and got 1. So I'm happy.
Oh I know. I’ve seen some of the photos you’ve posted of her before. Regardless of the species, she’s a beautiful pede!

Scoly

Arachnobaron
@Terrena Laxamentum If you have IG, the_centipede_whisperer is a god of the centipede hobby. He’s very polite and knowledgeable, so if you can get in touch with him, he’d be more than willing to help you out. And of course, everyone else here on AB is here to do just that.
Let us not misguide the newcomer. The centipede whisperer is indeed a God when it comes to handling his centipedes, but he is definitely not someone you want to point newcomers to for guidance on taxonomy, or anything scientific. Watch his videos, check out his Facebook page, and you'll see what I mean.

That's a big problems with these hobbies, people -- perhaps quite naturally -- expect those who seem to be an authority in one aspect (e.g. husbandry, handling the effects of venom, taxonomy, natural habitat) to be equally reliable in their knowledge of other aspects.

Listen to taxonomists on taxonomy, to seasoned keepers on husbandry, and those crazy enough to who have actually taken dozens of bites from dozens of species for the lowdown on relative potency of bites, but don't assume one thing translates to another. On that note, many of the wisest keepers I know don't frequent arachnoboards much (or at all) - and some of the people with the highest rep on here also really do not know what they are talking about (or maybe they do, but not on centipedes).

(And don't assume that because I've got a S.hardwickii as my avatar that I know what I'm talking about either :p )

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Let us not misguide the newcomer. The centipede whisperer is indeed a God when it comes to handling his centipedes, but he is definitely not someone you want to point newcomers to for guidance on taxonomy, or anything scientific. Watch his videos, check out his Facebook page, and you'll see what I mean.

That's a big problems with these hobbies, people -- perhaps quite naturally -- expect those who seem to be an authority in one aspect (e.g. husbandry, handling the effects of venom, taxonomy, natural habitat) to be equally reliable in their knowledge of other aspects.

Listen to taxonomists on taxonomy, to seasoned keepers on husbandry, and those crazy enough to who have actually taken dozens of bites from dozens of species for the lowdown on relative potency of bites, but don't assume one thing translates to another. On that note, many of the wisest keepers I know don't frequent arachnoboards much (or at all) - and some of the people with the highest rep on here also really do not know what they are talking about (or maybe they do, but not on centipedes).

(And don't assume that because I've got a S.hardwickii as my avatar that I know what I'm talking about either :p )
Ah, I see. Thanks for calling me out on that!