• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Scolopendra subspinipes "Thai Jewel"

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scolopendra subspinipes "Thai Jewel(/Indo Blacktip?)"

holy crap!

i was at our scabies BBQ (pics: http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/about406.html) and we got to playing with bugs

I was talking to people and circulating when my buddy came up to me with a slightly worried but mostly amused/bemused look in his face. He was moving somewhat stiffly i guess you could say... i thought i *might* have an idea of what was going on... then i saw his shirt *slither* as if there was a small snake crawling on his side. Yup... centipede in the shirt.

this might be interesting... we were playing with mainly higher "caliber" centipedes that day... subspinipes, like.

i gingerly lifted my friend's shirt (not wanting to startle the pede into a trunk (or NECK!!!) bite)... ah crap. it was a definitely a high caliber centipede... specifically a ~6" Thai Jewel (http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/about431.html). This specimen looks similar to Indonesian Blacktips and despite not looking at any morph taxo stuff i think it is a Scolopenda subspinipes.

i helped get the cent out/off but it fell onto the grass in the process. like a fool i just reached down and grabbed the centipede (as opposed to letting it run up onto me) and it bit me real quickly. i got 0.10-0.25 seconds of fang time. i can not imagine what a pump and dump would be like from this species! i bled from each of the punctures the centipede left with its forciples. i made no effort to extract any venom... something i might try in the future!

5:00 PM Saturday Nov. 17, 2007
. . . got bit on outside of left hand little finger. no initial venom pain.

5:20 PM Saturday Nov. 17, 2007 (+0.33 hours)
. . . start to feel tightness in fingers. start to realize this is probably going to be a bad one.

5:45 PM Saturday Nov. 17, 2007 (+0.75 hours)
. . . i decided to throw a heat pack on my hand. it is definitely getting the cramping, bone-ache precursor feelings. strangely no venom pain ("bee sting" type sharp burning pain is what i call venom pain). Nbond1986's mom gave me two gel cap advils. i think they might have taken the razor's edge off of the pain. hard to say though. by this time my hand is swollen enough to freak people out. NOT a good sign!

6:00 PM Saturday Nov. 17, 2007 (+1 hour)
. . . drive myself home. initially i was hyperventilating a little bit which might have actually made the pain more intense. once i regained control of myself the pain abated fractionally. hit traffic. DANG i did not need traffic! pain is pretty intense but not really interfering with driving. my skin around the bitesite seems super sensitive. i had partially taped the heatpack to myself but i have to remove the tape cuz it was too irritating to my skin. strange sensation. stopped at the store to get more heatpacks. ended up getting a reusable microwavable heatpack. HIGHLY recommended!

7:00 PM Saturday Nov. 17, 2007 (+2 hours)
. . . got home. took three quick shots of whiskey. still hurts like hell. two more shots and i am starting to feel dizzy/passoutish. hand STILL hurts like hell. i am reheating my heatpack every 20-30 minutes at this point. the heat doesn't seem to stop the venom action but it does seem to relieve the boneache a bit.

5:00 AM Sunday Nov. 18, 2007 (+12 hours)
. . . no real sleep yet. hand still hurts like heck but over the agony hump. got some snatched of sleep but still waking up every hour or so and reheating my heatpack

~11:00 AM Sunday Nov. 18, 2007 (~+18 hours)
. . . finally able to get more than an hour of sleep. drink a little more and sack out for 3-4 solid hours.

3:00 PM Sunday, Nov. 18, 2007 (+22 hours)
. . . wakeup. my hand is still quite swollen but i have almost full use of it again.

6:01 AM 11/19/2007 (+37 hours)
. . . hand still swollen but not really interfering with movement. i am still using my heatpack, but partly because it has an integeral ace bandage that i am using for support. when my wrist and fingers start to feel sore i heat the pack up again and it definitely relieves the ache

5:00 PM 11/19/2007 (+48 hours)
. . . hand still noticeably swollen but have virtually all freedom of movement back again. pain is mostly gone but my hand bones still feel eerily like they were sprained.

5:28 AM 11/20/2007 (+60 hours)
. . . the skin on the back of my hand is still a little loose/swollen. my hand bones still ache a little bit. all secondary affects (like i was feeling it a little in my left elbow and left armpit lymph nodes) are gone. hopefully in 12-24h more i will be comepletely over the symptoms

5:00 PM 11/20/2007 (+72 hours)
. . . hand just about back to normal looking. the bones in the palm of my hand are still a little tender feeling... and just possibly i still feel it a little bit in my lymph nodes

5:18 AM 11/21/2007 (+84 hours)
. . . hand bones still a little sore. just about ready to call myself over it. one more day to see if any changes occur

5:35 AM 11/22/2007 (+108 hours)
. . . still feel it a little in my hand bones. crazy.

10:47 PM 11/23/2007 (+150 hours)
. . . still feel it in my hand bones when i close my hand with any force. it does't really hurt it is just the tiniest bit tender

5:25 AM 11/26/2007 (+8 days)
. . . the finger that i took the bite in is swollen again. it has been swollen for at least 24hours now. it is swollen to the point i only have like 90-95% mobility in that finger. there is finally a marked decrease in the tenderness of my other hand bones.

5:43 AM 11/27/2007 (+9 days)
. . . little finger still swollen. think i am pretty much over the hand boneache :)

5:42 AM 11/28/2007 (+10 days)
. . . little finger still swollen. i am definitely pretty sure i am over the hand boneache now. also, it is really obvious where the forciples punctured into me. there is a little bit of evidence of mechanical damage and super local redness and swelling (in addition to the "general" swelling on my little finger). this is officially (by two days, at this point) the longest a bite has affected me. crazy.

5:24 AM 11/29/2007 (+11 days)
. . . bite site still swollen. i noticed i still had the hand boneache when i pack a pack of cigarettes or hit anything with my hand. the two puncture wounds look like they are not healing like pinholes would. they seem like they might slough like many scorpion stings do for me now. i wouldn't be surprised if there is a cytotoxic component to this venom as S. heros has at least one.

~5pm 11/29/2007 (+12 days)
. . . pinky not swollen anymore. hand ache basically gone. i have an idea about my pinky though. i bet if i rub it i can stimulate it it swell again. my instinct (probably wrong) is that some venom can get like, stuck interstitially and when i rub the bite site i can release it. dunno though, cuz i can only stimulate extremely local symptoms. maybe there is just like, microliters or nanoliters of venom being released and all they can muster is extremely local affects.

2:00 AM 11/30/2007 (+12 days)
. . . i am going to try the rubbing experiment now. my pinky has been relatively normal looking for more than 12h now.

2:02 AM 11/30/2007 (+12 days)
. . . oh yeah. that did something. and to be a tiny bit rigorous i even rubbed my other pinky the same amount of time. the bit pinky is locally swelling at the two puncture sites and slightly more generally the whole basal finger segment has swollen also. neat. pretty soon i am going to be like a freaking scratch and swell book of venoms hehehehe

CASE CLOSED (though i still have efficacious venom in me i am bored with documenting it. i might do another followup post later on)

after/during care notes:
right after the bite, when it started to hurt i was talking to people at our bug bar-b-que about it and someone suggested i try the "fisherman's trick" of peeing on the bite. i tried it... i dunno if i did it wrong or whatever but it didnt' really seem to help. Nbond1986's mom gave me two big gelcap's of advil that might have taken the edge of the pain for a while... but definitely not a miracle fix =P. i drank the equivalent of five drinks in about 30-40 minutes and that took the pain down a tiny bit. i think maybe i could do a double dose of Tylenol PM and drink 5 drinks and maybe get some sleep. i am pretty sure there are no CNS depressants in the venom. sure didn't feel like it, that is for sure!

CHLee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thai jewel bite report

Was handling him/her halfway when he decided to make a jump from my hand,and being an Idiot,I just grabbed it in mid air :p
and he tagged me on my index finger

5mins after the bite

10mins

15mins

30mins

vampire marks

the swelling started to go down after the 30min mark,and after an hour my finger is almost back to normal except for a little numbness around the bite area