1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scolopendra subspinipes pedelings!

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Riddle, May 15, 2018.

1. Riddle

Riddle Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    My Scolopendra dehaani girl Ling Ling just hatched her clutch of eggs! She was sitting on them for a while and i wasn't sure if they were going to hatch at all but today I counted at least 11 pedelings. This definitely wasn't planned as I purchased her gravid, apparently, so does anyone have advice on how to round up the pedelings, how/what to feed them, and what kind of containers to use for the little ones? Also, is anyone interested in getting one? I'd love to find them good homes
    MVIMG_20180514_202536-01.jpeg

Edit: Changed to dehaani! My bad lol

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

I can't give suitable advice on how to care, but I had a pointer...is the enclosure suitable for pedelings? I know @Chris LXXIX had a few escapees due to the vents being big enough to crawl through and escape. From what I've gathered, this is a species which packs a punch if it bites. I'm asking because it was a suprise gravidity.

3. Riddle

Riddle Arachnopeon

I have a tall fluval and from what I've seen so far, no one can get up the glass edges, including mom. I have some mesh over the single opening at the top, but planning to put a screen under that today just in case
    81JemnLu+qL._SY355_.jpg

4. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoknight

Your baby pedes are separable now, as they are no longer on the mother. So it's best to separate the baby from the mothers enclosure. Also that is not a subspinipes, but the dehaani. Baby subspinipes have a black head with a orange body with some black markings on it. True subspinipes are hard to come by in the U.S. So basically anything label as subspinipes is most likely a dehaani.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Ah, of course, since the holes drilled by me were perfectly fine for the adult - I've ordered - but obviously definitely not suitable for the - not expected at all - pedelings :angelic:

With that said I'm 95 % certain that only one really escaped - I know because after months I've spotted him/her leaving from my house door, of course bigger ih ih :kiss:

6. Chris LXXIX

Rare in the U.S? Those lovely weirdos? :angelic:

Scolopendra 4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoknight

Wish they were easier to come by over here.... :rolleyes:

8. Riddle

Riddle Arachnopeon

Thanks! That's good to know. She was sold to me as subspinipes, but I wasn't sure what the difference was between them. I'll edit the post lol

9. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    For now they should be able to hang around mother for a little longer. You can drop in prekilled prey and they will eat it. Once you choose to separate them deli cups will suffice. To separate them you can try to maneuver them into the new containers by catch cups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

Depending on locality true subspinipes can go for around $60 at the least. That lovely creature you have looks to have lots of red and wherever she comes from she'd be fairly pricey over here. Whereas dehaani dropping below $20 is common.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. NYAN

CA
    I’ve seen dehanni for $20 and $60 actually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

It's only the common yellow-legged and orange-legged dehaani that are cheap. The rarer variants such as flamelegs and cherry reds are (justifiably) significantly more pricey.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. NYAN

CA
    It was the yellow leg labeled ‘Vietnamese centipede’ same one I got for $20

14. Chris LXXIX

Here in Italy with $30 they throw those 'pedes on your head :)

15. Holyhellgrammite

Holyhellgrammite Arachnopeon

Texas
    Still got the pedes available?

16. I CAN HELP! Mom was in a 5.5 gallon secure tank with 6" substrate as described below with constant water access and dry leaves scattered everywhere. Room was at 75-78 degrees F and humidity never below 50%. She was well fed prior to laying eggs.
    Mine recently had 51 pedelings and I cashed in enough dough to go out of town for several days on a little get a way! Not that I do this for money but I love supporting the hobby.
    My female layed eggs, nested about a month, then the buggers hatched and she brooded for a month, then they separated. I never fed her the entire time. Once the little buggers dropped I separated them by removing mom into a temp cup and fed her in it... she was starving. I separated the babies into individual containers. I'll post the link to the cups I used. I used 50% eco earth and 25% white sand and 25% dry spaghnum moss at 1" depth in the cups. I used a thin house nail for punching air holes in the lid. 8-12 i remember. They fed voraceously on prekilled crickets in the small size range. Sold them ALL. Best of luck and congrats! The cups... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FFH79N...colid=1QAEUZR03UEK&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it