Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani or cingulata ?

Jig Saw

Arachnopeon
Hi!
I bought this pede as a scolopendra subspinipes dehaani.
It is 15cm long.
Does it look like a scolopendra cingulata ?
Thanks!

Attachments

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It's an orange legged S. dehaani (just letting you know, dehaani is now regarded as seperate from subspinipes)

Jig Saw

Arachnopeon
It grows bigger than subspinipes ?
Does it have a more potent venom ?
I have it since december and it hasn't molt yet.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi!
I bought this pede as a scolopendra subspinipes dehaani.
It is 15cm long.
Does it look like a scolopendra cingulata ?
Thanks!
Too hard to tell from the pics but are those little white dots mites?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
It grows bigger than subspinipes ?
Does it have a more potent venom ?
I have it since december and it hasn't molt yet.
Yes, they get bigger than S. subspinipes. Typically, the Vietnamese variants get to about 7", but the Cherry Red, Flame-leg, Black Flame-leg and Goliath Red get somewhat bigger, with sizes of 8-10" being common, and some individuals apparently reaching 12".
It also has a more potent venom than S. subspinipes, indeed, one of the most potent venoms of any centipede (only beaten, to my knowledge, by an unnamed species from Riau island).

basin79

ArachnoGod
I dont know what to say after i looked closer with light..
Didnt saw any movement. Look like debris.
The back legs have that spine that subspinipes has? (Like pedidalps in adult male tarantulas)
No. I wasn't disagreeing with you when you said they weren't. They just look liked them.

I use springtails in my enclosures. They seem to stop mites appearing fullstop.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Those spines are on the sides. I still think it is a dehaani from the general appearance, but you will have to show an image of the underside of the terminals for us to be sure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not S.cingulata at all, as others said.

I don't know if in Romania S.cingulata is present as a native specie (maybe yes... never say never). Here in Italy from southern Tuscany to the whole South there's a lot of those under the stones near little woods etc

An amazing and good beginner 'pede.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
S.cingulata typically have short terminal legs that are not much longer than the last pair of walking legs, but are "fatter". S.dehaani are usually long and slender. Nothing in your pics suggest it's S.cingulata. But as Staehilomyces suggests, a clear shot of the underside of the terminals legs will help you diagnose better.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Yes, they get bigger than S. subspinipes. Typically, the Vietnamese variants get to about 7", but the Cherry Red, Flame-leg, Black Flame-leg and Goliath Red get somewhat bigger, with sizes of 8-10" being common, and some individuals apparently reaching 12".
It also has a more potent venom than S. subspinipes, indeed, one of the most potent venoms of any centipede (only beaten, to my knowledge, by an unnamed species from Riau island).
Wait, isn't the Cherry Red a Subspinipes subspecies?

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
Wait, isn't the Cherry Red a Subspinipes subspecies?
The real "cherry red" is a Scolopendra dehaani from Malaysia. But sometimes dealers also sale Scolopendra subspinipes as "cherry red" so be critical if you want to buy a real "cherry red" ;)

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
The real "cherry red" is a Scolopendra dehaani from Malaysia. But sometimes dealers also sale Scolopendra subspinipes as "cherry red" so be critical if you want to buy a real "cherry red" ;)
Scolopendra subspecies is so confusing. I've been assuming dehaani is only the brown vietnamese type and everything else is subspinipes. So cherry red is dehaani, what about indo black tip?

Salvador

Arachnosquire
There are nearly as many dehaani variants as there are subspinipes. Black Tips are subspinipes though.