Scolopendra subcrustalis questions

NYAN

Arachnoking
I would like to get this species eventually and would like to know how they can can kept. There is not too much information about the care sadly. I read people say that they should be kept in high humidity and others say they should be kept dry. Being these are from the Philippines, I would guess more on the humid side. Also being arborial, would they benefit from some vertical cork bark?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've got one that I purchased back in January and - despite being allegedly arborial - it has spent pretty much all its time burrowed underground. I haven't even seen it in weeks - and when I have seen it, it's only because it's in a portion of the burrow that is up against the side of the tank. I'm keeping it on the humid side, with slightly moist coconut fiber and sphagnum moss, in an acrylic tank with small screened ventilation cutouts on the sides and top, so the bottom (where the substrate is) is more humid but there is good ventilation up top. There are a couple of small cork bark slabs for climbing, but I have yet to see it do anything with them. I assume it's alive and well because it's big enough that it would probably smell bad if it died (and would almost certainly result in an explosion of phorid flies - they're very quick to find anything dead.) Also, the crickets I've been dropping in seem to be disappearing. Still, it's pretty disappointing that I don't get to see it more often. Then again, that is pretty normal centipede behavior. My. S. dehaani spends almost all its time underground, too. My S. polymorpha does come out and prowl around its cage pretty often, though - so at least I have one centipede I can watch without having to dig it out!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Most of the speculation about subcrustalis is not that conclusive. I'd say keeping them fairly dry would work, but still more humid than any New World 'pede. Lots of ventilation plus humidity is what subscrustalis probably prefer, but like most centipedes, they are fairly forgiving of how they live and they probably won't mind the typical fossorial lifestyle of centipedes.

Climbing material is enjoyed by pretty much all species, so providing some sticks or better yet, a background made of cork, would be a nice addition to any 'pede tank.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just a brief follow-up - the lengthy disappearance of my S. subcrustalis has finally ended! He must have been molting, because he has emerged, bigger than ever, and is now living up to the arboreal habit they're supposed to have! I'm seeing him a lot more often, both at night and even occasionally during the day, usually wedged into a crevice at the top of his cork bark. Here are a couple of pictures I got yesterday (at the bottom of the enclosure this time). Sorry they aren't very good - just quick phone pictures through the acrylic, while he was busy devouring a cricket - but at least he's alive and well!
S subcrustalis 1.jpeg S subcrustalis 2.jpeg

Curiosipede

Arachnosquire
From what i remember subcrustalis live in/on dying or dead trees feasting on whatever lives in them. So i would think high humidity with high ventilation would do the trick.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately, my S. subcrustalis inexplicably died on me. :( He seemed to be doing great following the molt - active, out and about on his cork bark, eating well - and then one day I went in to check on him/feed him and he was limp, discolored, and starting to stink. (It doesn't take long for decomp to set in - our bug room is fairly warm and humid.) I don't know what went wrong. Moisture levels and ventilation seemed good. No mold or mites. No signs of any injury. Of course, he was probably wild-caught, so who knows what sort of parasites or diseases he might have been carrying around.
Here were a few pictures of him while he still appeared to be doing well:

S subcrustalis 3.jpg S subcrustalis 4.jpg

Razmattan

Arachnopeon
Just a brief follow-up - the lengthy disappearance of my S. subcrustalis has finally ended! He must have been molting, because he has emerged, bigger than ever, and is now living up to the arboreal habit they're supposed to have! I'm seeing him a lot more often, both at night and even occasionally during the day, usually wedged into a crevice at the top of his cork bark. Here are a couple of pictures I got yesterday (at the bottom of the enclosure this time). Sorry they aren't very good - just quick phone pictures through the acrylic, while he was busy devouring a cricket - but at least he's alive and well!
View attachment 273115 View attachment 273116

Razmattan

Arachnopeon
Hello I would like to know who you got it from and for what price .The subcrustalis