Scolopendra species that hide and burrow the least?

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
hi everyone. Just looking for a good display species that is more or less out in the open.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Apparently Scolopendra heros are quite visible, and I can say from my own experience that Scolopendra morsitans are out quite a lot.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems to vary with the individual animal and with season/temperatures/feeding patterns/etc. I've got several different variations of Scolopendra dehanni and Scolopendra heros. The most reliably visible are a couple of the dehanni and a couple of the heros. The ones I see least frequently are a couple of the dehanni and a couple of the heros. S. polymorpha also tend to hide a lot - but once in a while I have one that comes out looking for food a lot (during the warm season).

basin79

ArachnoGod
My Scolopendra viridicornis (yeah yeah she's not the "true" viridicornis) is out the vast majority of the time. Just curled up on the surface.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Scolopendra heros is my most visible 'pede. He frequently comes out and wanders around in the middle of the afternoon. My S. polymorpha, on the other hand, I hardly ever see. (I've got one that I haven't seen since July.) The S. dehaani is somewhere in the middle. He's out occasionally, but not as often as the heros.

Frodo240203

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys! Considering all suggestions. Any info on subspinipes and hainanum?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Any info on subspinipes and hainanum?
Subspinipes (you'll really only find dehaani) are pet holes if you keep them right. My hainanum spends most of its time under its cork bark, but occasionally I see it outside at night.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
For a lot of species it really depends on how you keep them. Here's my notes form species I've kept:
  1. S. hardwickii - don't burrow but will use hides if available, but do OK in small tubs without hides too
  2. S.alternans Hispaniola - sometimes in, sometimes out (low height tub)
  3. S.alternans (standard banded) pedelings - almost always under ground
  4. S.morsitans - usually burried, sometimes out
  5. E. trigonopodus (Kenyan) almost always under hide, except in less clear enclosures in which case they're often out in the open
  6. E. trigonopodus (Mozambique) always under hide
  7. The only subspinipes (yes, not a dehaani) in my collection is a juvenile and almost always on the surface.
  8. S.dehaani (cherry red) - always under hide unless its hunting
  9. S.galapagoensis - tunneller but sometimes out on the surface, sometimes under for weeks
  10. S.cingulata - in small tubs often out in the open, in large enclosures burrow completely
  11. A.chilensis - total burrower
  12. S.hainanum - always out in the open (small tubs)
  13. S.mutilans - always hiding
  14. S. sp "viridicornis" - often out in the open
  15. S. paradoxa - occasionally out, but often burrowing (and they burrow upside down, with belly towards surface - weirdos!)
That's all I can remember...

The gist of it is that unless you have an obligate burrower, you can usually keep it in a shallow ceiling tub with reduced lighting and it will tend to stay on the surface.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My S. heros castaneiceps is almost always out. My S. heros arizonensis only comes out to eat. I don't know if it's a sub-species or individual difference.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
All S heros Ive kept are highly visible. Alipes sp tend to be very visible in my observations.