1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scolopendra sp: hispaniola

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by ShyTeddyBear98, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ShyTeddyBear98

ShyTeddyBear98 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Some pictures I've managed to get of my scolopendra sp hispaniola after offering some food. This was the smallest size available, despite her/him still being over 7" in BL lol. I've also attached an image of my favourite hardwickei specimen that constantly tries to murder me...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  2. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scoly

Scoly Arachnoknight

That red giant is in mint condition! I was told it's best to buy the youngest specimen you can, as some come in quite old already.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShyTeddyBear98

Thanks. I've heard the same about the South American giants... Although, the reason I purchased this one, was simply due to me not being able to afford the €300 10"+ monsters that were available. I can only speculate that the SA giants (female) might die prematurely whether they have successfully raised young or have them separated to prevent matriphagy; a lot of people argue that they can't raise a successful clutch without being consumed and that females will die regardless.

5. Scoly

Scoly Arachnoknight

I think it holds for any batch of WC to be fair. I've actually heard people (taxonomists at that) claim that matriphagy doesn't always occur in those species, or is only observed in captivity, which I don't think is true. Every breeding record I've read says it definitely does happen in those species, and its such a big event for the pedelings that I doubt there would be cases where it doesn't go ahead. As for the mother dying regardless if separated, that's certainly a possibility. I've heard that S.hardwickii tend to expire within a few months after producing a clutch. But I've also heard of S.heros producing a clutch 3 years in a row from the single mating (but 3rd unsuccessful).

At least we don't have that problem with alternans. Btw, seeing you and I both have galapagoensis and Hispaniola, we need to sex our specimens and get talking ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ShyTeddyBear98

Haha, definitely. I'll need to purchase a gas canister set first; but I intended on getting one to keep the biggest male and female hardwickei out of my clutch regardless... As there's nothing I'd love to see more than them being more regularly available. As mating is concerned, I'm pretty clueless lol. I've heard reports that they're seasonal etc... One guy on YouTube had a go at breeding a galapogoensis with a RCF galapogoensis... But I think he said the RCF wasn't sexually mature.

7. Salvador

Salvador Arachnosquire

Mind these have been positively ID'd as S.alternans now. Interesting you mentioned mixing galap colour forms, it struck a bit of conflict in me. Because of the rarity, taxo confusion etc, I'd never consider crossing them, but I was wondering what a 10" male Hispaniola would make of my 5" Haitian female :pompous:

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShyTeddyBear98

Yeah, some guy on YouTube actually attempted to debate me on whether they were truly alternans... I just threw him into the whole "The moon landing was faked" clique. But in regards to cross-breeding, I'm also conflicted. I think I'd only support it for experimental purposes, as anyone selling hybrids of these variations would clearly have money as a priority.