Scolopendra sp. “Malaysian Jewel” How the Hell Do You Keep Them Alive?!?!

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I’ve always adored the coloration of the Malaysian Jewel, but due to their high price, extreme sensitivity, and their low temperature requirements, I haven’t been willing to take them on. So, to anyone that has successfully kept this species before, how do you keep them alive without having to break the bank on a small refrigerator???

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got curious and checked Amazon. A small 6-bottle wine cooler is about $100. An 18-bottle cooler about $160. That actually isn't an outrageous investment.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
How large does this species get? The standard 10 inches that giant scolopendra are usually quoted at, or smaller. Just wondering if a six bottle would be big enough? I have jewel coming in a couple of weeks so I'm going to buy a cooler but I haven't found anything definitive on their size and it just occurred to me that I might need a larger one.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you only plan on keeping one, I suspect a six-bottle cooler would be enough. But if you hope to get a couple of them and maybe try breeding them - plan ahead and get something big enough for expansion. An 18-bottle cooler costs a little over half of what three 6-bottle coolers would. (And many of us would like to think that people will start breeding these in captivity.)