Scolopendra morsitans questions??????

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is the Scolopendra morsitans like. Is it just a S.subspinipes all over again or is it something different?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Geography Guy said:
What is the Scolopendra morsitans like. Is it just a S.subspinipes all over again or is it something different?
different

it will only acheive about 1/2 to 1/3 the size, for one thing

edit:

also virtually everythign the dealers sell as morsitans isn't even Scolopendra genus. morsitans is supposed to get to about 10cm/4"... the "bluerings" sold easily reach 15cm/6"... and have the wrong size and shape spiracles to be Scolopendra

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
different

it will only acheive about 1/2 to 1/3 the size, for one thing

edit:

also virtually everythign the dealers sell as morsitans isn't even Scolopendra genus. morsitans is supposed to get to about 10cm/4"... the "bluerings" sold easily reach 15cm/6"... and have the wrong size and shape spiracles to be Scolopendra

So a morsitans would be like a usual centipede you find around the house? The dealer said he has a 8 inched Scolopendra moristans for sale. So did he label it wrong?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it could be one of several tanzanian species, ask caco, steven, or vincent, theyll tell you what u need :cool:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
MantidAssassins said:
Buy it and post a photograph so we can tell you what we think it is.
always a good solution :)

dude, really... any good size pede at a good price is a good buy, imo :)

plus, it's kinda fun figuring out what u really got... like solving a mystery... only usually no one has to get killed :)

Maryn

Arachnopeon
937D3776-F00B-498B-9491-FCD48664D7C5.jpeg Hi, I’m new to the terrarium world. Though I’ve been bitten often by scorpions and centipedes... that creates a bond, right?!
Just caught a beautiful Scolopendra Incognita. Its about 12 cms long. White/yellow legs and very active at night! Can anyone help me identify our dear pet Romulus?? Body in reality more reddish then it seems to be in the picture.

NYAN

Arachnoking
View attachment 297192 Hi, I’m new to the terrarium world. Though I’ve been bitten often by scorpions and centipedes... that creates a bond, right?!
Just caught a beautiful Scolopendra Incognita. Its about 12 cms long. White/yellow legs and very active at night! Can anyone help me identify our dear pet Romulus?? Body in reality more reddish then it seems to be in the picture.

Hmm? I’m not sure. Perhaps Scolopendra alternans?

This one has stubby terminals though. I’m not sure.

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
View attachment 297192 Hi, I’m new to the terrarium world. Though I’ve been bitten often by scorpions and centipedes... that creates a bond, right?!
This is most likely S.morsitans, which is known to have been introduced where you live. You can kind of tell by the terminals, look at the second segment, the dorsal-outer edge has a ridge in it, which is typical of S.morsitans, and they are much shorter and thicker than most S.alternans.