Scolopendra morsitans first pairing attempt

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Today, I took the plunge, and put my two Townsville blue-legged S. morsitans together for an attempted pairing. To say I was nervous is to put it very lightly.
The pairing was unsuccessful, however, the results were very promising. The pedes were not aggressive towards each other in the slightest, and definitely seemed interested and receptive.
During the pairing, the male attempted multiple sperm webs, but never managed to complete one, possibly due to the female constantly pushing him around, preventing him from staying in one place long enough to create a proper web.
Another potential issue may have been the anchor points. I added a heavily compressed toilet roll, which the pedes used multiple times, never with success - perhaps the surface was too smooth?
Does anyone have any ideas why the male was unable to make a sperm web? (though I could see scattered strands).

Also, here are some pics of the pairing - it was on and off for 2-3 hours, with many mating attempts spoiled by the female's impatience.
DSCN3874.JPG DSCN3879.JPG
DSCN3878.JPG DSCN3876.JPG

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently tried my first breeding of Scolopendra heros - and it seems to have been successful. (Won't know for sure until I see babies.) I had a large terrarium (20 gallon long) so they had plenty of room to move around in. And I had two flat rocks in the terrarium propped up so that one end was about half an inch above the substrate. The male crawled under one of these to build the sperm web, clearing just enough of the substrate out of the way so that he and the female could crawl through. This gave him something solid to build against, and restricted the room available for the female.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
Nothing wrong with the tube that I can see, it usually works fine, but can depend a bit on the patience of the female I suppose, I've had similar happen many times, and it just requires trying a day or two later. Good luck!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
So you think I should just keep trying with the same setup?
I would try again with the current setup before completely altering the environment. Had things gone worse initially i would be a full advocate of changing it and adding in rocks, but as you said things were not a complete disaster, just give it a few more go's over the next week and if nothing improves then you can change the viv setup.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How stable is the cardboard tube? Might be good to brace it with something so that it doesn't move too easily.