Scolopendra heros venom immunity.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve taken three or four bites from various heros in the last month and have determined that I have developed an extreme resistance or immunity to the venom. I am certain that these were not dry bites as there was venom on my skin and I still had some effects.

Being bitten now leads to very little pain and only redness, a cold feeling and mild to moderate swelling with itchiness afterward. I want to test this with an adult Arizonensis, but I’ve taken bites from a 5 inch castaneiceps and 4 inch heros heros with little effect now.

I am curious whether this is the case with other species as well. I was bitten by a viridis last week while collecting and it only caused a bit of swelling and some itching.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I've been bitten by various Scolopendra and experienced minimal pain and almost no swelling. I have seen some photos of other peoples' hands swelling considerably. Maybe you're just not that sensitive.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve been bitten around a dozen times. The first few bites actually hurt and swelled.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I’ve heard of this happening before, I would assume if you tried it with another species with different venom compounds your body wasn’t used to you’d be in for a bad time

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve heard of this happening before, I would assume if you tried it with another species with different venom compounds your body wasn’t used to you’d be in for a bad time
That’s what I think. I’ll have to try it I suppose. I’ve been wanting to see what subspinipes and alternans are like.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
There's a few sides to this.
  1. Some people definitely definitely seem to have built up an "immunity" to scolopendra bites (to the point of not really feeling much). Whether this is physiological resistance to the venom or more of a change in the pain response I'm not sure.
  2. The pain you experience may be affected by the level of shock, which may explain why bites hurt less as you learn it's not so much to worry about.
  3. Some people have taken a lot of hits and don't fare any better over time.
  4. Some people report feeling more pain in response to bites over time, even saying they feel their old bites when they get hit afresh.
If you're interested in this kind of stuff, you'll love this facebook group (and will find some people who have developed an "immunity" happy to discuss it on there) https://www.facebook.com/groups/134550297188915/

Curiosipede

Arachnosquire
Centipede venom is so interesting to me. Ive never been actually envenomated by a species more than once. Ive always been interested but dont really want to self envenomate, especially when theres a likelihood i wont be one of the lucky ones who gains resistance

NYAN

Arachnoking
Centipede venom is so interesting to me. Ive never been actually envenomated by a species more than once. Ive always been interested but dont really want to self envenomate, especially when theres a likelihood i wont be one of the lucky ones who gains resistance
Good to see you around! Venom in general is fascinating.

Curiosipede

Arachnosquire
Yea i want to get back on here as an active member. Shouldnt take too long. I have a sales list i wanna post. Lol.