Scolopendra heros housing question

Aliens

Arachnopeon
So I am looking to get my first centipede and I have settled on Scolopendra heros (fingers crossed for casteneiceps). I am working on setting up its enclosure and as I live in the northeast USA I was trying to settle on how to heat the enclosure. I have a small heating pad from a previous tank that I was thinking of using, but given that this is a desert species I was also considering a light, but with its moisture requirements I was wondering if the light would just be more trouble as it might dry out the substrate faster. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

NYAN

Arachnoking
So I am looking to get my first centipede and I have settled on Scolopendra heros (fingers crossed for casteneiceps). I am working on setting up its enclosure and as I live in the northeast USA I was trying to settle on how to heat the enclosure. I have a small heating pad from a previous tank that I was thinking of using, but given that this is a desert species I was also considering a light, but with its moisture requirements I was wondering if the light would just be more trouble as it might dry out the substrate faster. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!
If you are comfortable in your house they will be also. Heating shouldn’t be required unless it gets seriously cold. With that said you can use a space heater. Lights dry everything out. Don’t let them being a ‘desert’ species fool you also. Often they live underground where it is cool and moist. I keep mine in a mix of 40/60 Sand and coco fiber. If you use sand be certain it is calcium free. I give them a water dish and cork bark to hide under. Often they will be out during the day it seems unless they bury themselves. I use no heating and temperatures can get in the 60s At night.

Aliens

Arachnopeon
Awesome, thanks for the info. Ya I was mainly thinking of heating because the care sheets I were seeing were recommending keeping their enclosure at about 80-85, and my place tends to be a bit cooler than that.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Awesome, thanks for the info. Ya I was mainly thinking of heating because the care sheets I were seeing were recommending keeping their enclosure at about 80-85, and my place tends to be a bit cooler than that.
Care sheets are usually bad.

Aliens

Arachnopeon
Care sheets are usually bad.
Well this weren't so bad, just a bit unclear, and a bit inconsistent across the board. But that's why there's forums like this! Good way of getting the info.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Well this weren't so bad, just a bit unclear, and a bit inconsistent across the board. But that's why there's forums like this! Good way of getting the info.
That’s the problem though, they seem like they are correct but might not be.

Aliens

Arachnopeon
That’s the problem though, they seem like they are correct but might not be.
Well the information that I was seeing was mostly the same as what I was seeing on threads around here, so I would say they aren't to bad.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Agreed on no heating. Centipedes often live in places that are hot but spend most of their time avoiding that heat underneath rocks, logs, etc. where the air is cooler and moister. Be careful not to make it too dry or too wet, heros do not handle well in humidity but also can't live in a very dry environment. Of course, they can escape from pretty much any enclosure so I recommend not using a glass tank, a Kritter Keeper, anything with a screen lid, and instead use a tall, wide plastic storage container appropriate to the size of the centipede. Add plenty of ventilation and several inches of cocofiber/peat/sand substrate and you should be good to go.