Scolopendra heros castaneiceps growth rate

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Alrighty guys so I purchased a Scolopendra heros castaneiceps pling a couple weeks ago, and so far it’s been a very fun pede to keep! I’m kinda curious as to how fast these grow. Like how big will he/she be in a years time? 2 years? Anyone who has raised these guys or other similar giant pede species please feel free to chime in. Thx! And here’s some pics, just for the heck of it :)

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Wow that’s awsome? How much was it and how big is it.
Probably depends on how often you feed it , I’ve never had one . Probably gotta move out , my mom would freak if one of those got loose.
I’m not sure if they grow slower being a new world species . These are biggest pede in USA right?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Wow that’s awsome? How much was it and how big is it.
Probably depends on how often you feed it , I’ve never had one . Probably gotta move out , my mom would freak if one of those got loose.
I’m not sure if they grow slower being a new world species . These are biggest pede in USA right?
It’s about 1.5-2 inches BL. I paid $110, including shipping. And yes these are the biggest pede species in the U.S.

NYAN

Arachnoking
It’s about 1.5-2 inches BL. I paid $110, including shipping. And yes these are the biggest pede species in the U.S.

I got mine around 4 inches in size. In around 6-8 months time I think it added another half an inch at least. I think they grow faster as plings though.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Has it eaten in your care yet? It can vary greatly animal to animal, depending upon its individual appetite. I've got a polymorpha that eats me out of house and home, but my heros is a lighter eater and a slower grower. Whereas I know other Keepers who have the exactly the opposite situation.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I got mine around 4 inches in size. In around 6-8 months time I think it added another half an inch at least. I think they grow faster as plings though.
Ok, good to know!
Has it eaten in your care yet? It can vary greatly animal to animal, depending upon its individual appetite. I've got a polymorpha that eats me out of house and home, but my heros is a lighter eater and a slower grower. Whereas I know other Keepers who have the exactly the opposite situation.
Yea I’ve had it for about 2 weeks, and it has eaten a total of 2 small pre-killed crickets and 8 fruit-flies, so it’s been a really good eater. Hope that info helps :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know they're different species but this is my Scolopendra hardwickei.

The white line indicates where I snapped the cork bark that you see in the 2nd pic. The piece of cork bark is 21.5cm long.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I know they're different species but this is my Scolopendra hardwickei.

The white line indicates where I snapped the cork bark that you see in the 2nd pic. The piece of cork bark is 21.5cm long.

Thanks for the input! Btw beautiful hardwickei you got there :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ime Scolopendra seem to have the same basic 'relative' growth rate, can mature in a year but two years is a good sexually mature safety time for breeding. I've seen over here that growth rate slows in a big way after two years with lifespans of heros being 5-8 years in general, just ime.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
ime Scolopendra seem to have the same basic 'relative' growth rate, can mature in a year but two years is a good sexually mature safety time for breeding. I've seen over here that growth rate slows in a big way after two years with lifespans of heros being 5-8 years in general, just ime.
Thx! This is my first Scolopendra pedeling, and my first Scolopendra sp. for that matter, so idk the growth rate for scolopendra, but it sounds like they grow pretty quick. I also didn’t know the average lifespan of Scolopendra, so thanks for that too :)