Scolopendra heros castaneiceps, Fritch TX

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I seem to be relatively lucky. Where I've moved to in the TX panhandle I've seen large millipedes--S. ornatus, scorpions, tarantulas...and now...S. heros! Never dreamed I'd hold one in my hands (layer of plastic separating us...but he seems docile enough!)

For better or for worse though, none of these critters seem particularly abundant here. Was at the Rio Grande recently in Big Bend...Ornatus were everywhere! Oh well

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your inbox is full... does this mean you've got a lot of people interested in this centipede?

What a great find! (Consider me interested as well!)

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Looks like a software bug when they migrated over to the new "conversation" style. I had to delete every single mssg: When there were 20 in my inbox the counter said 130/100...pretty crazy...looked for a sent messages folder but couldn't find one. Then deleted everything. And mysteriously it appears the coast is clear. Thanks for informing me! PMing...will see if issue returns. Doubt I'm the only one who had this problem.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Looks like a software bug when they migrated over to the new "conversation" style. I had to delete every single mssg: When there were 20 in my inbox the counter said 130/100...pretty crazy...looked for a sent messages folder but couldn't find one. Then deleted everything. And mysteriously it appears the coast is clear. Thanks for informing me! PMing...will see if issue returns. Doubt I'm the only one who had this problem.
@SDCPs, In the new system each message within a conversation counts towards your total storage limit. So if you back n forth 30 time in one conversation thats 30 messages. Nice find on the centipede!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
@SDCPs, In the new system each message within a conversation counts towards your total storage limit. So if you back n forth 30 time in one conversation thats 30 messages. Nice find on the centipede!
Got it. Thanks for the explanation!!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
And...another! This time a very rowdy young specimen at 3 inches. I guess they like the heat and moisture of these campsite restrooms. Was inspired to go looking the other day but couldn't find anything of interest under rocks or logs for the life of me. Hoping to spot a scorpion at some point (and not get stung)

I fed the previous specimen a cricket...everything but rear legs and wing casings...gone...wow. (PM if interest)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
And...another! This time a very rowdy young specimen at 3 inches. I guess they like the heat and moisture of these campsite restrooms. Was inspired to go looking the other day but couldn't find anything of interest under rocks or logs for the life of me. Hoping to spot a scorpion at some point (and not get stung)

I fed the previous specimen a cricket...everything but rear legs and wing casings...gone...wow. (PM if interest)
Lucky! If you’re talking about the 3 incher, I’d be interested. It just depends. I already have a pling but it had a bad molt and I’m still trying to help him/her get its molt off. If it doesn’t make it I’d be willing to make an offer.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
And...another!! 3.5" Just running across the road in broad daylight, nearly on my property. I saw a flash of color...fire...yellow and orange...it was quite beautiful. It must be the weather. Too bad about the antenna. Posted in classifieds, prior 2 have homes

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Very large one! (5-6" depending on what one is measuring) Crawling about approximately 9 PM. Upon closer inspection appears was devouring another (smaller) S. heros -- didn't know they were that cannibalistic!

PM if interested