Scolopendra heros arizonensis “Madrean Banded” Bite Report

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I’m not sure how to post bite reports in the Bite Report Section, so hopefully someone will move this for me.

Specimen: 3.5” BL Scolopendra heros arizonensis “Madrean Banded”

Time of Envenomation: 12:40 A.M.

Location of Bite: Near the webbing of my Right Thumb.

Circumstances: I was having my first socialization session with this pede in over a week. I had slightly spooked the pede before I let it walk onto my hand, and after about 30 seconds of handling, the pede clamped down near the webbing of my Right Thumb. After letting it chew for about 2-3 seconds, I shook it off my hand and onto the ground, where I recaptured it and put it back into its enclosure.

Summary of Bite: I received a 2-3 second envenomation near the webbing of my Right Thumb. It used both maxillipeds.

Bite Report:
12:40 A.M. - Envenomation near the webbing of my Right Thumb.

12:45 A.M. - Instant pain near the bite site, which is starting to intensify. The bite site is also beginning to swell.

12:50 A.M. - My thumb is starting to become stiff. The pain and swelling are still increasing. My (worried) Mom had me take some Benadryl and Ibuprofen to help ease the pain.

1:00 A.M. - Pain is beginning to level off, but the swelling is still increasing. The bite site is completely red and sensitive to the touch.

upload_2019-6-18_8-59-37.jpeg

1:05 A.M. - The bite site is continuing to swell. Pain remains the same.

1:15 A.M. - Pain still remains the same. The swelling is starting to level off. I can no longer bend my thumb properly.

1:20 A.M. - Pain remains the same, as does the swelling. A tingling sensation is beginning to set in, and I’m having bone aches near my right armpit.

8:00 A.M. - Was able to fall asleep, and when I woke up, the pain was completely gone and the swelling has gone down. The only symptoms that remain is slight tenderness, and a welt at the bite site.

upload_2019-6-18_9-1-42.jpeg

Outlook: It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I would rate the pain as a 4/10 at its peak. It definitely hurt, but it was not unbearable. I also am thankful that this happened with a smaller specimen, as it could have been much worse with an adult specimen. I will still handle him/her, but I will definitely be more cautious when working with him/her.

basin79

ArachnoGod
And this is why I don't agree with pedes being handled.

"After letting it chew for about 2-3 seconds, I shook it off my hand onto the ground, where I recaptured it".

I appreciate pedes are more robust than tarantulas but still. The pede could have very easily been injured and for what?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
And this is why I don't agree with pedes being handled.

"After letting it chew for about 2-3 seconds, I shook it off my hand onto the ground, where I recaptured it".

I appreciate pedes are more robust than tarantulas but still. The pede could have very easily been injured and for what?
I definitely see your point. Even though the bite didn’t hurt that bad, I’m most likely not going to handle that much anymore for this reason. Thanks for pointing this out to me, I truly appreciate it :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I definitely see your point. Even though the bite didn’t hurt that bad, I’m most likely not going to handle that much anymore for this reason. Thanks for pointing this out to me, I truly appreciate it :)
Obviously this is only my opinion on it. Many others handle and are happy doing so. I'm not bothered about them, my concern is for pede.

The thing is no one knows how they're going to react with a bite. So you've been bit 8 times? That doesn't mean the 9th time will be the same. What happens if it hits a nerve?

I don't think pedes deserve to be risked.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Obviously this is only my opinion on it. Many others handle and are happy doing so. I'm not bothered about them, my concern is for pede.

The thing is no one knows how they're going to react with a bite. So you've been bit 8 times? That doesn't mean the 9th time will be the same. What happens if it hits a nerve?

I don't think pedes deserve to be risked.
They’re truly amazing animals, and I don’t think they deserve to be put at risk either, which is why I’m leaning towards your point of view.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'm in what seems to be the minority - centipede owners that don't handle. While I generally support 'pede owners right to handle, I personally see it as a risk, to both the 'pede and myself, that I'm unwilling to take. But as far as handling S. subspinipes, dehaani, or any large 'pede of unknown toxicity goes, I'd advise not handling at all. Pretty much every thread that mentions handling also mentions getting bit at some point.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
I have no intentions of handling my dehanni, that thing is crazy in the head. Entertaining though!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm in what seems to be the minority - centipede owners that don't handle. While I generally support 'pede owners right to handle, I personally see it as a risk, to both the 'pede and myself, that I'm unwilling to take.....
I agree completely. Handling of centipedes (or most other wild caught "pets") does not benefit the animal. People have their own reasons for wanting to handle, but it is not out of respect for the animal. I rarely handle mine, and if I do it's only because it ended up being the most practical way of dealing with a particular situation at that moment.