Scolopendra hardwickei - where can I find one?

Alipes

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I live in India and was hoping to find a Scolopendra hardwickei aka Indian tiger centipede. I'm not very keen on buying one as the only breeders I've found are in the US and Europe and import procedures are a nightmare. Does anyone know of any locations where they can be found and what to feed them?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Yes, importing a native Indian species would odd anyway. couldn't find much on where they're found except this - 'This species is common in the south of the Indian peninsula and it is rarely found on the islands of Sumatra and Nikobar' on Wikipedia.

Alipes

Arachnopeon
Yes, importing a native Indian species would odd anyway. couldn't find much on where they're found except this - 'This species is common in the south of the Indian peninsula and it is rarely found on the islands of Sumatra and Nikobar' on Wikipedia.
As per my experience they're pretty hard to find, despite the Wikipedia page. But thanks anyway :happy:

NYAN

Arachnoking
They are found in the southern part of India it seems. You would have luck turning over debris probably.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I'm no expert but this is what I would do, To start head to the southern peninsula, then start to locate wooded or scrubland areas with streams or rivers nearby and little to no human traffic. While heading up stream Start turning logs and rocks. It probably helps to search on nites when it is warm and damp out. I would search along the shoreline of the stream and the surrounding areas near it as I went up one side, and search the other side as i walked back.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'm no expert but this is what I would do, To start head to the southern peninsula, then start to locate wooded or scrubland areas with streams or rivers nearby and little to no human traffic. While heading up stream Start turning logs and rocks. It probably helps to search on nites when it is warm and damp out. I would search along the shoreline of the stream and the surrounding areas near it as I went up one side, and search the other side as i walked back.
Why does this (especially at night) sound like a good way to become tiger food lol? Probably a small risk given that their populations in the south are focused mostly on the west coast, still food for thought lol. Good advice nonetheless, definently look in areas with plenty of moisture and hiding spots.

Thanks,
--Matt

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Why does this (especially at night) sound like a good way to become tiger food lol? Probably a small risk given that their populations in the south are focused mostly on the west coast, still food for thought lol. Good advice nonetheless, definently look in areas with plenty of moisture and hiding spots.

Thanks,
--Matt
Tiger centipede / Bengal tiger its a win/win :happy:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Tiger centipede / Bengal tiger its a win/win :happy:
Lol I wonder which one they have a better chance of seeing first. Expanding on this idea, the OP might want to try baiting them with cover. A trick some snake hunters and herpers use around these parts is to create habitat using car hoods, plywood, tin siding, etc to lure species in and make them easier to find. Perhaps if OP has access to some ideal property, they can create an abundance of smaller hiding places to regularly check.

Thanks,
--Matt