Scolopendra gigantea LD50

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is gigantea's LD50 in mices?

And how many mg or venom inoculate in you a bite of this kind of animals?

Thanx

SebastianH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

Androctonus_bic said:
Scolopendra viridicornis
im 12.5
iv 1.5

What means im and iv? :?
im = intramusculär: means toxin in an muscle injected
iv = intravenös: means toxin is injected in a vene
(possibly these are not the correct names)

Greetings,
Sebastian :D

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scolopendra Subspinipes = NEVER to be injected into Bob !!!!
Looks like a nasty one folks !!!! :eek:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not bad really, compare their numbers with the buthid scorpion numbers listed at the top of the page. Keep in mind, with LD/50 the LOWER the number, the more potent the venom. Of course, it's still debatable how useful LD/50 values really are.

Wade

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, if anything, that table goes to show that venom from Scolopendra subspinipes might not be that bad at all. Of course, to say that it isn't that dangerous to mice doesnt mean that it isn't to humans, and vice versa (although it is fairly obvious that it is true). That is one of the major problem with mouse calculated LD50 values. And that table has no indication of how painful a venom might be! :eek:

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
all depends man, some ppl are allergic to something, a while ago a man was killed by hamster's bite,so why not centipedes?
if u are, u would definately be killed by S.s, but i don't think the chance is big enough
BTW i've heard about the dog in Australia like to lick Bufo marinus to get high, is there something to do with LD50
?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Going by that logic, almost anything could be deadly...cat fur, pollen, a jar of peanuts...

Poisioning from bufotoxin usually occurs when it's eaten or passed through a mucus membrane, whereas LD50 measures injected toxins. I don't doubt bufotoxin would cause some damage injected, but that's not how it occurs in nature.

AFAIK, only humans are foolish enough to deliberately try to poison themselves with bufotoxin. With dogs, it's more like their natural predatory behaviour that causes them to bite the toad, only then to discover their formidible defensive abilities. Dogs have died attempting to eat B. marinus. Most of the time, the paratoid glands must be puctured for the poison to come out, but stressed B. marinus are apparently capable of forcing it out.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
BTW i've heard about the dog in Australia like to lick Bufo marinus to get high, is there something to do with LD50
?
i think he confused LD50 with LSD :p

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ya i got it now
but the news i've read is that ozzy dog is ADDICTIVE to licking the B.marinus...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Austrailian dog or Ozzy Osbournes's dog? :)

Wade

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
sorry guys...licking that toad will not result in a high. The secretion must first be dried and then smoked....

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
edesign said:
sorry guys...licking that toad will not result in a high. The secretion must first be dried and then smoked....

Don't know about what way would give you the best high (deliberately ingesting bufotoxin is a past time for idiots competing for a Darwin award regardless), but I can assure you the bufotoxin needn't be dried or smoked to be toxic! Licking the toad might not result in exposure if the toad isn't agitated or there isn't any residual toxin on the skin at the moment, but it's still stupid.

I once did a web search looking for husbandry info for Bufo alavarius, and found dozens of sites about them. Unfortunately ALL of them were regarding using them to get high. I did learn, however, that according to the toad heads B. alavarius gives you a better high than B. marinus. Yes, these guys actuall did comparison tests. I wonder how they feel about scotch guard vs. airplain glue?

That article seems like it might be a little humerous in tone. Not sure how seriously I'd take it.

Wade

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another bizzare things i've heard(seems i can only hear) Haitian Vodoo witches use bufo toxin and others to make zombie, like dead man walk stuff(not death penatly excution) it's like paralyzed the man/ woman and he or she would wake up after a while, anybody think it might be real?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
another bizzare things i've heard(seems i can only hear) Haitian Vodoo witches use bufo toxin and others to make zombie, like dead man walk stuff(not death penatly excution) it's like paralyzed the man/ woman and he or she would wake up after a while, anybody think it might be real?
voodoo is real, trust me :rolleyes: ;)

(basicly getting wasted or stoned is becoming a walking dead man :p )
never heard from the use of scolopendra's in voodoo ?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hehe I dont know but i've heard something similar, someone told me that ... in the wild, monkey's were catching the centipede and were licking these... the centipede, thinking he's in big danger were releasing all his venom and the monkey were taking this venom to protect him from insect, but after a while he was gettign a big high because of the venom, highhh monkey'zzz

its hard to explain in english but I think you can understand what im saying

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
hehe I dont know but i've heard something similar, someone told me that ... in the wild, monkey's were catching the centipede and were licking these... the centipede, thinking he's in big danger were releasing all his venom and the monkey were taking this venom to protect him from insect, but after a while he was gettign a big high because of the venom, highhh monkey'zzz

its hard to explain in english but I think you can understand what im saying
mmmm,... heard something simular but not with centipedes,... thought it were other inverts,... milipedes maybe ? or ants ? :?