Scolopendra galapagoensis

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
There is very little to no information on this species and other South American Scolopendra sp. I was wondering if anybody has ever been bitten by a South American giant, to be more specific, Scolopendra galapagoensis. If you have, what were the effects of the venom, how long did the pain last, and under what circumstances were you envenomated?

The more info and personal experience from other keepers the better. Thanks in advance!

NYAN

Arachnoking
I haven’t kept one but my understanding is then venom is pretty mild. Not as bad as heros and worse than polymorpha I think. The real damage is from the maxillipeds.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Just getting my feet wet with myriapods, I hope I never have to experience it.
I see you also live in California. Plenty of cool species in the state and nearby. I handle and socialize my Pedes which is why I’ve been bitten. However, you really learn a lot about them while doing so. I can go and find an individual in the wild and handle it usually without being bitten.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
I see you also live in California. Plenty of cool species in the state and nearby. I handle and socialize my Pedes which is why I’ve been bitten. However, you really learn a lot about them while doing so. I can go and find an individual in the wild and handle it usually without being bitten.
Just getting my feet wet with myriapods, I hope I never have to experience it.
Thanks for the info and such, guys! I already got tagged but I handle my pedes as well. I started working socializing my girl. I’ll see if I can get pics later on when she’s out. Again, thank you! I really do appreciate it!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Thanks for the info and such, guys! I already got tagged but I handle my pedes as well. I started working socializing my girl. I’ll see if I can get pics later on when she’s out. Again, thank you! I really do appreciate it!

What tagged you? Did you post a bite report?

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
What tagged you? Did you post a bite report?
The galapagoensis. Didn’t phase me, so it may have been dry. Maybe just very little venom since I still have some discoloration to where it was?

I don’t notice when I get kicked by heros either. Polymorpha are the worst for me though.

NYAN

Arachnoking
The galapagoensis. Didn’t phase me, so it may have been dry. Maybe just very little venom since I still have some discoloration to where it was?

I don’t notice when I get kicked by heros either. Polymorpha are the worst for me though.
I’ve been bitten by hainanum and polymorpha. Hainanum got me 2 weeks ago and my thumb is still swollen.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
I’ve been bitten by hainanum and polymorpha. Hainanum got me 2 weeks ago and my thumb is still swollen.
My pal was kicked by his hainanum. He had a pretty bad effect that makes me NOT want to socialize it.

Going back to the galapagoensis bite, it’s discolored, but painless for me anyway.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got tagged by galapagoensis once but it didn't get me in a bad way so I still don't know what they can do there. I've gotten bitten by heros a few times, one time it was really bad, they can deeeliver! But other times it wasn't bad at all.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I got tagged by galapagoensis once but it didn't get me in a bad way so I still don't know what they can do there. I've gotten bitten by heros a few times, one time it was really bad, they can deeeliver! But other times it wasn't bad at all.
Is there a bite report for the heros? On here I’ve only seen 2-3 and they aren’t very detailed sadly.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Coincidentally my heros just gave me a test bite with a little venom in it. Barely feels like anything though.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Coincidentally my heros just gave me a test bite with a little venom in it. Barely feels like anything though.
Same with me. I think they’re more so full envenomations on my hand because I do startle the pedes sometimes. Heros doesn’t have any affect on me though. Just Asians, I don’t know but I’m pretty sure, and polymorpha.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make a heros mad, it won't hurt just a little bit. OMGGGGG! I'm just saying, after what I went through one time, it's just hard to believe so I'm thinking people here just haven't upset one enough. The same thing happened to me with an imperator scorpion, I've been stung dozens of times over the decades, like a bee sting. But one time I upset one really bad. It had a claw stuck(OK, 'chela' then), I tried to push it back in the container, it worked it's stinger(OK, aculeus) through the hole and lit my finger up like I never would have believed it could, I felt that for 5 days.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Make a heros mad, it won't hurt just a little bit. OMGGGGG! I'm just saying, after what I went through one time, it's just hard to believe so I'm thinking people here just haven't upset one enough. The same thing happened to me with an imperator scorpion, I've been stung dozens of times over the decades, like a bee sting. But one time I upset one really bad. It had a claw stuck(OK, 'chela' then), I tried to push it back in the container, it worked it's stinger(OK, aculeus) through the hole and lit my finger up like I never would have believed it could, I felt that for 5 days.
Wow. I never knew imperator was capable of that.