Scolopendra dehanni- gravid or pre-molt?

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got 5 WC adults scolopendra dehanni a week ago. They are all doing great.
One of them is really fat compering to the other 4 adults. I don't know if it's a female or a male...
How can I know if it's gravid or pre-molt? I'll upload an image later...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think that only a 'wizard' can know if a WC (like basically 99% of 'pedes are) 'pede is gravid or not, and this only using his/her eyes :)

Fruchtpudding

Arachnopeon
Can you show pictures of the fat and the normal ones? A well fed centipede does actually look pretty "fat" and most of the ones you get from sellers are severly underfed.
It might be that you just got one well fed and 4 very hungry ones.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's not eating for the last 3-4 weeks. Always moving the soil around and dig inside it. Started to get really fat...
IMG_8499.jpg IMG_8498.jpg

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I posted a similar question and the general consensus was that mine was most likely gravid. I haven't seen my pede outside in over two months and the only way I could check on it is to pick up the container and look underneath it. While it is possible that it's gravid it's also possible that it is just well fed. The colors don't look dull enough for me to think it's in premolt, but the only real way you'll know for sure is if it molts or pops out some eggs. In the mean time just leave it alone as much as possible as too much stress could cause it to abort the eggs if it is indeed gravid. I can't tell how much substrate you have from the picture, but I would recommend you to make sure you have at least 4 inches in there. If it is gravid the extra substrate will allow it to burrow and feel much more comfortable, it would make the egg laying process easier on the pede and increase your chances of a successful clutch.

Nir Avraham

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She laid about 10-15 eggs yesterday.
I can’t see the eggs now. Did she ate them or she buried the eggs?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
If you can't see the eggs she probably ate them. Centipedes never abandon their eggs even when disturbed; they'd rather eat them than let something else do that.

15 eggs sounds very small. Dehaani and others like it typically lay 60-100 eggs per clutch, so depending on how large she was this might be her first clutch or an unfertilized clutch.