Scolopendra centipedes

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Is it possible to keep them in sterilite bins? Or would a more secure enclosure work? I am probably getting multiple centipedes.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I keep mine in a sterilite tub, you just have to make sure proper precautions are taken so that it can't squeeze out anywhere. For example, the handles on mine latch closed but I put books on the other sides to make sure it can't push the lid up and squeeze out. I've never really seen it testing the enclosure though as my subspinipes loves to either hide under its cork bark pieces or burrow into the substrate for weeks on end. I would recommend that you make sure whatever enclosure you have is tall because if your pede gets spooked it will bolt and let me tell you those things can really move when they want to and you don't want the pede to run across the enclosure and shoot straight over the edge of the container before you can react.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Sterilite bins are fine, but the thing to worry about is how tightly the lids close. Some of the bins I have have a 1/4 inch gap between bin and lid, which is more than enough for most centipedes to escape from (hence why I keep millipedes in them instead of centipedes).

The gap may not be a problem if the centipede is unable to stretch tall enough to reach the lid, so a tall bin even with a gap is the best way to go.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it possible to keep them in sterilite bins? Or would a more secure enclosure work? I am probably getting multiple centipedes.
I keep my Scolopendra polymorpha in a tall, latching bin (I believe it is a Hefty brand bin) and it has worked very well. The bin is probably 2.5 times the height of the centipede.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Here's one way to think of it: If you think I can push a metal wire (like the brake cables on a bike) through the largest gap (which is always in the middle of the wall where there is the most flex) from the inside enough to poke outside, then it's not secure.

I've even got tubs with snap shut lids which don't pass that test, and hence wouldn't keep centipedes in. With regards to relying on height alone to keep you out of danger, you need to make sure that:
  1. There is A LOT of extra height, I'd personally only be happy with at least 150% of the centipede's body length.
  2. The surface is smooth, i.e. no air holes or other grips.
Earlier today I spotted my 6" hardwickii climbing up the silicone seal of its glass tank, as it often does, but this time I noticed it was holding it's entire weight with ONE claw. The silicone seal is about 2-3mm, and the pede had half-climbed half-wedged itself in the corner in an S shape, and the one claw which was holding it was actually facing downwards. The claw was just hooked deep into the bead, and by a combination of pulling off that and pushing itself in the corner it was holding itself suspended off the ground. If I had a better phone I'd have taken a picture.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Plastic tubs are great! They are cheap and effective, just make sure the centipede can’t reach the top and the lid is secure. I keep my pedes in a mix of tubs, deli cups and glass tanks.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Get the containers that have gasket seals. Sterlite makes a 20 and 32 quart model which I use. As escape proof as you can get when properly latched.