Schizocosa in SE Wisnconsin

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Does anyone have advice on where I'd be most likely to find Schizocosa spp. in SE Wisconsin. I have access to wooded areas, grassy areas, riverbank, and lakeshore. Thanks.

cold blood

Staff member
Id be surprised if you couldn't find them right in Cambridge woods....there's a lot of wood clutter to lift and go through down there.

I see them down by be at Bender park occasionally when I am looking for snakes and salamanders....but I don't actively search for them specifically.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Does anyone have advice on where I'd be most likely to find Schizocosa spp. in SE Wisconsin. I have access to wooded areas, grassy areas, riverbank, and lakeshore. Thanks.
I don't live in Wisconsin, but I find plenty of Schizocosa in my yard; I see them most often in leaf litter. (I live in the suburbs, but it's a wooded lot, and I keep it in a more natural state so that it's spider-friendly.)

The mature males are easy to identify, because they have brush-like bristles on their front legs.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Id be surprised if you couldn't find them right in Cambridge woods....there's a lot of wood clutter to lift and go through down there.

I see them down by be at Bender park occasionally when I am looking for snakes and salamanders....but I don't actively search for them specifically.
I don't live in Wisconsin, but I find plenty of Schizocosa in my yard; I see them most often in leaf litter. (I live in the suburbs, but it's a wooded lot, and I keep it in a more natural state so that it's spider-friendly.)

The mature males are easy to identify, because they have brush-like bristles on their front legs.
Thanks. I figured I'd be able to find them close to home, but wanted some input from people who have found them. I found some Dolomedes and Tegenaria last night, but perhaps Schizocosa won't be out until it's warmer.

Sergic

Arachnosquire
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my last message. I was thanking you and @Ungoliant for being the people who had found them and then offered advice.