1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scavenge feeding.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by BarksandFarts, Jul 11, 2018.

1. BarksandFarts

BarksandFarts Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey guys! Just had 3 slings come (red leg, red knee and a white knee) and they are a lot smaller than expected. Was wondering if yall could tell me more about scavenge feeding and how i should go about doing it?

2. AnObeseHippo

AnObeseHippo Arachnoknight Active Member

Never had to do it myself but I always see people saying to cut up mealworms into little bits and just feed them a bit of that.

3. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron

Pretty much exactly as stated above. Kill feeder, leave feeder or part of feeder near burrow/hide entrance, or just generally where the spider will find it. I usually check in the next day and remove it if it hasn’t been eaten.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

I use buffalo-worms (tiny mealworms) or just cut up the somewhat larger ones.

Think it was @cold blood that has a obligatory pic for these threads, of a sling scavange feeding a large mealworm piece.

5. tewebag

tewebag Arachnoknight Active Member

• Crush the head of a small cricket (or just use the leg from a large cricket)
    • Anywhere from a fourth to a full prekilled meal worm (I like to cut the head and legs off just to be safe on the really small slings)
    • Crushed/split in half roaches or any other feeder

Just place whatever item you choose to feed it either outside the burrow or in a spot the sling generally goes to, leave it in there for up to 24 hours then remove any left overs (if any)

6. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

When I do it, I usually freeze some small crickets, and then let them thaw for about 90 minutes. Put it in the enclosure after dinner, and if it's uneaten the next day, take it out before it molds.

Alternatively, pop the back leg off of an adult cricket and do the same thing. I don't like doing this, though...it's a little gross (and not very nice for the cricket. At least death by tarantula is fast.)

7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

yes, kill and leave it.

But more importantly is housing....house in a small, simple enclosure.. discourage hiding and excessive burrowing....easier for you and the sling. The biggest mistake new keepers make with slings is housing in over size, and/or too well appointed housing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BarksandFarts

Yup! This seems appropriate right? Pardon the wrinkly hands just got done swimming

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. I usually just throw in a crush cricket and leave it in the container for a day, then removed anything leftover.

10. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Did you forget the ventilation holes ;)?

11. BarksandFarts

Nope haha put em up on the top. Cross ventilation for my bigger spiders but with slings sometimes i feed fruit flies they tend to clb out if i put side vents